Progress on my 340 Hood Scoops!

-

rypp77

Reaction score
Progress on my 340 Hood Scoops!

On 4th of July day off, I took on the project of installing my hood scoops.
It was better than popping fireworks!

dart_original.jpg

dart_hood.jpg

dart_scoops.jpg

-r

dart_original.jpg

dart_original.jpg

dart_hood.jpg

dart_hood.jpg

dart_scoops.jpg

dart_scoops.jpg

I love the look of those twin scoops, makes the car look like a million bucks!
Good job!

PS: Don't forget the ratchet on the cowl!
What's next, the bumper guards?

Next Project:
Find a new Front and Rear Bumper, remove the Bumper bumps. Also need a front valance.

I found the Hood Scoops on craigslist for $200. They are original 340, the crome and the logo were in great condition. The logo had a bit of overspray...but I can take care to that.

Very Nice.

Did you use any kind of diagram for the install?

Yeah, what were the measurements you used? I know you can basically see from the underside of the hood were the scoop goes, but how did you do it? I plan on putting a set on my 70 this weekend.

The red outlines are the holes you drill first from the bottom side.

The orange cirles you drill from the top side.

After you drill the "red outlines" flip the hood to the top side. Align the hood scoops and get the placement of the "orange circles", and drill the "orange circles" from the top side.

The open slot has to be 4inch in diameter and needs to be 3/8 of an inch from the curver on the hood.

Hope the helps.....if you need more help, I took in progress photos.

-r

pattern.jpg

pattern.jpg

pattern.jpg

pattern.jpg

placement2.jpg

I made a template from the scoop. I placed a long sheet and punched the studs thru the the sheet.

I drilled from the bottom side of the side where the "red outlines" are located.

I place the template on top of the hood and placed nails in the 4 holes from where I drilled the "red outlines" to find my placement. Then I drilled the remaining 4 holes from the topside.

-r

pattern.jpg

pattern.jpg

placement2.jpg

placement2.jpg

Looks great! I'm working on the same thing for my Demon. How did you cut the 4 inch holes? What did you use?

scps1.jpg

I used a 4 inch bi-metal cutter. I got it home depot for about 20.00. Attached it to my drill and cut the hole.

drill.jpg

-r

drill.jpg

drill.jpg

Great write-up,thanks.

Little fyi: There is a guy on e-bay selling the inserts for the 4" holes.

Yeah...cool guy...he gave most of the info that I didn't know about cutting. I told him I was going to get the rings from him later this month.

-r

I used a 4 inch bi-metal cutter. I got it home depot for about 20.00. Attached it to my drill and cut the hole.

-r

Thanks, I'll look into picking one up. How smooth did the hole come out? Have to do much sanding/cleaning up?

the job on the scoops looks REALLY NICE! also If anyone is interested there is a set of the scoops like that on Houstons Craigslist and also a 340 / GTS dart hood for 68/69 hood is a LOT PRICEY at $1300.00 but I think the scoops were $200.00

I bought my inserts from the guy on ebay. Great product, they fit like a glove. At first you think they're to large, but when you get them in place they fit nice!

I bought these scoops in Houston Craigslist.

On the cutting of the hood. The cutter leaves the holes really rough...you will have to grind them done a bit.

-r

were the holes circled in red already there from the factory? I'm going to put the same scoops on my 70 duster, but none of the holes are there. Guess I'll just have to guestimate the best I can from looking at yours.

I would make the paper template first and find where I want to drill the first 4 holes or where my "red cirles" are located. I would also buy another 1 1/2" Bi-Metal bit to create the holes to access my bolt.

-r

Just curious as to where you heard to drill the holes 4inches. I have found two different articles in Mopar magazines. One says the holes should be
4-1/4 inches, and the other seems to indicate that it should be 4-1/8in. I'm not trying to say yours are wrong, I just want to be sure before I buy the wholesaw. I know 1/4 or 1/8 wont make much difference at all appearance wise, but I want to be sure the seals/inserts fit properly.

(note - as I was typing this I was also surfing ebay and noticed a set of seals on there. It says "When these rings are inserted into the standard 4 1/8 inch hood scoop opening hole, the smaller end fits through the hole and with a hard pull, it snaps right into place leaving a clean raised edge top and bottom." So, I'm even more confused now.)

Also, what did you use to attatch the scoops to the hood? I have been told the factory used sort of a speed nut on them. I saw a set on ebay but they were $60 and came with the studs which I don't need. I was thinking about using regular nuts and washers, definatly cheaper if they will do the job.

-
Back