Project`67 Dart GT 340 A500

-

Junior340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I wanted to share my build for a daily driver to replace my LHS which was a great car really but too new for me. I found a solid Dart that sat for ten years to work with, original drive train a 273 2bbl floor shift automatic. the 273 long gone and blessed with a strong 340 already in place even the previous owner had no idea about. I got it running and actually drove as is tell the transmission went out.
I have always wanted to do a OD swap on my own car so now is the time. The car will be kept all Mopar but not all original restoration. A fun driver .
I will add pics and updates up to where I am now so stay tune.
Feel free to chime in with input.

Here is Junior the day I picked it up, the inside was full of black widows guarding all the original trim and a folder full of paperwork.

Andy
IMG_20141128_081142.jpeg

This is after I had been driving it for a bit, still stripping the old yucky black engine compartment paint and getting down to the original Turbine Bronze. Man I love that color, I was very happy to see that was factory. I putting electronic ignition in and replaced the master cylinder. The Direct Connection old school chrome package cleaned up nice with some patina which I like.
KIMG0009.jpeg

Now the transmission is out I cut the old headers off since they were junk and removed 340 cleaned and inspected bearings put rear main and freeze plugs in. Gave her a new coat of paint.
KIMG0448.jpeg

Here is the part that needs to be removed from the tunnel/torsion support. Second pic is the new brace being installed and plug weld to the floor. Third pic is out of order( like myself) :) mockup seeing what needs to be chopped off.
KIMG0481.jpeg
KIMG0468.jpeg
KIMG0461.jpeg

KIMG0472.jpeg
Old brace is now modified for the new transmission position. Just need to clean it up a bit more.
KIMG0477.jpeg

Floor shift bracket is now relocated and drive line shortened. I got a 80" speedo cable to fit real nice
KIMG0488.jpeg

KIMG0496.jpeg
Can I fix this Manifold?
IMG_20160729_125824(1).jpeg
I could not afford nice ones so I brazed up a pair, using an old head to test torque on to see if it will hold. Seems fine.
KIMG0503.jpeg

Trunk lid sanded down to the original bronze, if only the the whole would clean up like this I would leave it. It was painted blue over the bronze at one time, then primer
KIMG0102.jpeg
. I love patina.

The TTI front and H-pipe fit perfect, and I went with Hush Thrush Turbo mufflers. It really sounds good now :)
KIMG0519.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this. Your fab work looks good. Any other floor mods? What did you use for a converter?

Last edited:
-
Back