Finished! Brutal 'Cuda

-
SWEEEEEET!!! There's a lot of times guys will second guess themselves on color choice, but never when they choose black.

OK bringing this back to life, got a pile of moog suspension parts (everything is getting replaced) I have been putting in.
Also working on getting the rear end done at a local builder. I have a B-body complete axle that I will have to narrow (489 case, sure grip,3.55) Prob. use Dutchman axles.
And also will be ordering both front and rear Aerospace Components Street brake kits.
Yep , the $$$ is going to be flowing.

I will get some pics up of some of it here in a day or so.

Nates68

Nice job so far. Big fan of the color choice, just gotta love it. I can't wait to see this one moving along again.

Stuff is going back on, much more fun. Hellwig 55917 sway bar (has the ends bent to clear the wheels better) Made the leaf spring hangers and plates. Qa1 front strut bar, new bushings, LCA plates, etc... Now trying to decide on which disc brakes to use.
Ordered an A body 8 3/4 housing and axles from Dr.Diff.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_4227.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_4228.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_4231.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_4232.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 946
...and yes some of the stuff is loose, just mocked up for now. I may have to swap the spindles depending on what brakes I use.

Got Dr.Diffs recently offered A-body axle package. It was easier than having the B-body axle I have narrowed. Plus it comes ready to go. Only gripe is the spring perches locating holes are too large, so I had to put a bushing in.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 888
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 912
Also just ordered PST 1.03 bars, backordered for 4-6 weeks#-o. Would like to get this thing on some wheels soon.

Nates68

Well the t-bars showed up already! Went to put them in and realized I needed dust boots!
Will have some .870 blue paint dab bars for sale.

Nates68

Got a couple of heavy boxes full of more goodies. Decided on Wilwood 13" 6 piston front brake kit and Right Stuff 11" rear kit.
The Wilwood kit is part #140-12272 and is listed for the Magnumforce dropped spindle. I originally thought that it wouldn't work with a factory 73-76 a-body disc spindle, but reverse engineering the fact that the Mag. spindle will work with factory brakes means it will. Here's some pics to prove it! The only issue that I have had so far is that the top of the caliper adapter was hitting some of the casting flashing of the spindle. A little grinding with the angle grinder took care of that.

It looks like the caliper will clear mounted on the front, I am using the Hellwig 55917 pro-touring bar that has the bend in it.

View attachment DSC00212.jpg

View attachment DSC00213.jpg

View attachment DSC00215.jpg

Some pics of the kit, nice stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00210.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC00209.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC00208.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 766
OK and on to the Right Stuff kit. The factory e-brake cables will work, just have to open the bracket slightly for the cable. Other than that it is straightforward.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 729
Also been working on the rear diff. and sure grip. Ordered rebuild kit from Dr.Diff, as you can see these clutch plates were toast! Going to be learning how to set up a ring and pinion.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 739
How are you supposed to use hub centric wheels with that cone shaped Wilwood hub??? I'd return those rear brakes. That was a failed Cadillac setup from the 80s....I'd replace them with the Ford based parts.

GMachine,

Good point on the Wilwood hubs, I didn't even think of it. I should have researched that better, now what? On the rear setup, I looked at some of the other posts and people seemed to like them. I know Dr.Diff's cobra setup is nice, I guess I was being cheap, and didn't like how you had to use different cables.

Nates68

didn't like how you had to use different cables.

Grand scheme of things that is not a big deal. I ran the Dr Diff rear brakes on mine with the smaller rotors that clear a 15" wheel. I installed that kit with the cables he sells in 2006. Drove it that way for a few years with no issue. I "upgraded" to the bigger rotors and associated adapters recently, but have not installed them yet. Will be using the same calipers and cables.

Got the 'pig' in. Only had copper colored silicone layin around, the flash makes it stand out.
Thought the ratio stamped into the housing was cool, never saw one clean enough to see it.
Had a hard time 'reading' the pattern on the drive side, the coast side looked good. Randy's talks about used gears being a bit hard to read so I guess they have done a few...

Moving forward:happy1:

Nates68

Attachments

• DSC00224.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 704
  • DSC00223.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 706
Ordered Bilstein rcd shocks and installed them the day they showed up. PST had them for a good fabo discount. Yes I know the Fox shocks are all the rage and very good. But as I recently told my brother "I would rather have a car that is complete and drivable than a car sitting unfinished because I have no money left to put it together". Feel free to donate any money if you disagree :cheers:

Also ordered wheels and tires! Will post pics and specs when they arrive.

Nates68

OK I know posts are far between, here are some updated pics:
-Installing the shocks
-BG rodworks 17x9 rear and 17x8 front (from Discount tire)
-Bad pic of wheels on car
-Brakes installed
Installed restored grilles, the surrounds are powdercoated charcoal grey.

This weekend assembled the magnum 5.9 shortblock. Goal is to get it running and then start on interior.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 628
Rear axle shot with brakes and bilsteins. I will get some engine updates next!

Still moving forward when I can.

Nates68

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 619
I just subscribed to your thread, great read and great work, really inspiring.

I'm in the "taking apart" phase of my build on my 68 Fastback but will be going a similar route like you, just not as far in terms of performance upgrades (i"m basically doing a period correct upgrade program, so nothing too new but everything good enough to improve everywhere).

Hopefully I'll soon be able to post updates like yours, where stuff gets done and parts start going on the car again (this is always the cool part!!).

great job again. Looking forward to the next updates.

Engine Update!
Talked to Brian at IMM Engines, going to build the magnum 360 just like a recent build he did for Car Craft. The hp/tq numbers were impressive, especially the low budget it took to get there. I don't want to spoil the article so stay tuned!

Nates68

sweet build look forward to running into you sometime and seeing it in person

-
Back