Project Route Suggestions

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
So, I bought my first project and need suggestions what to do, in what order?

-Pull the tank and redo the entire fuel system. Fuel cell or buy a replacement tank with sump? Electric fuel pump with regulator suggestions needed too

-Move the leafs inward and mini-tub

-exhaust needs to be re-done after the headers

-interior needs a complete overhaul

-full aftermarket ignition upgrade

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

Just a car to enjoy and drive around to shows.....and have fun with!!

440 V8

The only suggestion I have is what is your budget? Take that budget and triple it, that is what you are going to spend.
If you are not going to do any body work, start on the engine and fuel, get it running first.

The motor is fine, recently gone through

I think starting with the fuel system is a great idea, to get it running

I need to get a starter for it, the current one is huge and is touching the headers

What's a good mini starter?

Mini-tubs would suggest drag racing is in the plans. Pretty major project.
Just a car to enjoy and drive around to shows.....and have fun with!!
For this ^ Fix the exhaust.
Fix whatever is wrong with the current fuel supply.
Use a mechanical fuel pump unless running fuel injection. It will do the job and avoids the problems of wiring in a fuel pump to an electrical system with a different design concept.

For traction at the launch, there's tires that will fit. Gearing and rear suspension will need some tuning. Then decide if you want to take on the bigger project of tubbing.

Are there options for gas tank sizes?

How do I know which size I have?

If stock, they are the same as per each year, You have a 16 gallon tanks. Look up your year and model. There are several ones to chose from, in different materials, but they are all the same size and configure.

Thanks

The block is a 68 and the previous owner said it has the better Magnum heads

Will these be the 915 or 906 heads? Need to pop the valve cover I guesd

I found the motor has a Weiand 7512 manifold, which seems to get good reviews
20181104_131935.png
20181104_173929.jpg

Now I am trying to figure out what Holley carb this is
20181104_131935.png
20181104_131935.png
20181104_131935.png
20181104_174229.jpg

carb could be a 750, I can not tell from photos, should have a number on chock horn, which was milled off. Maybe someone else knows more.

Fuel tank. If it needs fixing, you also might find a place locally that does repairs.

Transmission 'kick down' linkage needs to be adjusted. That's way off and is missing the hairpin clip and washer. It controls pressure in the 'throttle circuit' and should move as soon at the throttle opens. Details in the shop manual and here:
Shift Quality & Linkage Adjustment (Session 279) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Carb. Model 4150. Looks aftermarket 1970s. Stamped numbers on the metering blocks may indicate the list number directly or can be cross referenced. Measure the internal diameter of the venturis and throttles will also narrow down the possibilities and the advertized cfm.
If it runs, and isn't too badly molested, it doesn't matter. Lack of choke can be a minor pain, but if you can feather the fuel for the first few minutes its not a big deal.
Get an older used copy of Fisher and Urich's Holley Carburetors and Manifolds for how these work, terminology etc. Understanding the basics will help you solve issues and avoid a ton of headaches.

I like to be able to safely drive any project as I work on it Like said, what are your expectations? ultimately a perfect car or a nice driver. You can do the body work or have to send it to body shop prison? Are there BIG holes in floors? Frame rotted off?
Study the engine/trans and learn what you have. Do you just want to spend $ on your "baby" ? or do what is necessary for your usage.
YOU need a good clean gas tank and lines, GOOD brakes, exhaust pipes that don't kill you, a seat that is clean and comfortable enough. Hopefully your drivetrain is already adequate for a driver.
You need to learn all about your engine as to what it is, the carb as to how to adjust and rebuild it. Start by learning what heads are what, closed chambers, open chambers, the compression of what ever 440 you have, etc etc
All is fun but lots of work, $$ to spend, stuff to learn!

Move spring, mini tub last on the list!!

I need to drop the tank for sure

I see alot of replacement tanks have numerous vent options to choose from, so I need to see what I have first

I want all new fuel lines also, so I know the supply is clean and nothing will leak

Clean fuel system is a must, to get the motor running

I see they also sell fuel injection ready gas tanks.......

So I wouldn't have to buy a sump, cut a new tank apart and waste time welding it up

Seems like a good option to consider

How are the brakes? I saw no mention of them.
One of my fathers wise oldies was "if your gonna go you better be able to whoa."

New A body fuel tanks are cheap. I think I paid about $80 shipped. Would have cost most of that to have the old one boiled out and I still would have had a 45 year old tank.
I wouldnt bother cleaning one out unless it was excellent otherwise.

Bought a reman starter for $20, hope it works right

91-95 V8 Dakota

20181109_190718.jpg

I did look digging and found the motor has 906 heads

The rear axle has the smaller 741 case, unfortunately

From my research, I found that there are two radiator sizes and a variety of fan blades

I have the larger, 26" wide radiator and the 7 blade fan

Hopefully it will suffice when cooling the 440, since I assume these are parts from the 340 factory motor

-
Back