Project Route Suggestions

-
So, I bought my first project and need suggestions what to do, in what order?

-Pull the tank and redo the entire fuel system.

-Move the leafs inward and mini-tub

-exhaust needs to be re-done after the headers

Just focusing on those three, they are a bit related.

I would remove the tank & then do the mini-tub & leaf spring move.

If you redo the tank & exhaust now, you may want to remove the tank again before any cutting & welding & where your springs end up will affect your rear exhaust also.

When I add an electric fuel pump, what happens to the mechanical pump?

Isn't on the block near the water pump? Leave it or is there a way to delete it?

I'm still confused as to what your goals are ? Getting it running is o.k. but if you want to do shows you need to go deeper into your build . Or, if you want a street and strip machine you also need to go deeper in. You will never regret going full on . Your pocketbook may not like it but that is what part-time jobs are for . I would start at the rear axle and work forward from there . As far as tubs and moving springs are concerned , in todays world , it is just for looks and expense . We are running a '66 with 9" tires and springs in stock location @10.77, 123mph . The tires make the difference . A fuel cell is ok but most people put them in wrong as they do with a trunk mounted battery . A mechanical fuel pump is perfect for street use up to about 450 h.p. Smoke shows don't impress me but wheelies do . Good luck and keep us posted .

Most a-bodies have a 22" core support so a lot of butchery is needed to put in a 26" rad . A 22" is fine if you have t he support to go with it . That is : high flow water pump, high flow thermostat with a clutch fan & shroud . Remember 67-69 a-bodies with BB had 22" rads .

Quick fuel, Holley, Mr. Gasket.......all the same 110 gph fuel pumps. They also use 1/4" ports, which seem tiny to me

Edelbrock uses 3/8" ports on their BB pumps

The current pump is mechanical and I can't find any markings

I also want to install a new pump push rod.......any suggestions?

I am using an Edelbrock with adapters on the pump to go from 3/8ths npt to -8 . The whole fuel system is -8 . If at some future date my horsepower demands more volume it is already in place . I also used the factory fuel tank with a sump added . Edelbrock has a fuel pump upgrade kit with -8 in/out but unfortunately doesn't fit the Mopar pump (Chevy only) so don't bother with it . I tried it . FYI, the difference in cost from -6 to -8 is about $10.00 .. A no brainer in my book . You can always upgrade later if horsepower demands it . Hope this helps .

I hope the #1723 pump from Edelbrock is it, and it's good

I just bought one for $100 on Ebay

It has the 3/8" ports

Found it : Edelbrock #1723 for BB , 3/8ths npt in/out , $148.45 & Edelbrock #1720 for SB , 3/8ths npt in/out , $158.75 Neither one requires a regulator . I have a Carter and Holley fuel pumps , unused , in my parts bin . IMO the Eddy is better AND there is support to back it up . BTW the stock Hemi pumps are 5/16ths npt. not much better . the standard 2bbl. BB pump is 1/4 npt. I know the Eddy sounds pricey but after paying for the Holley and the Carter I learned a hard lesson .

The only suggestion I have is what is your budget? Take that budget and triple it, that is what you are going to spend.
If you are not going to do any body work, start on the engine and fuel, get it running first.
I wish I was only triple mine!

Any suggestions on how to tell if the fuel pump push rod is worn?

I would like to replace it anyways, to be safe

What kind should I get? Stock or

Since I am going to buy a new gas tank, I want to also get a new sending unit at the same time

I want to switch over to a 3/8" fuel line and I see they sell 3/8" sending units. Any issues with this idea or is it a direct fit?

Finally pulled the wheels and tires off today

The rear wheels are 14x8 US Indy Mags, with what appear to have 3.5" of backspacing

The front are disk and the rear is a drum, but I do have the 5x4 small bolt pattern

What backspacing do the front 14" ralley wheels have? What width should they be?

I need to replace the carb

I want to get a 750 cfm double feed/pumper, manual choke

Will any 750 work or do I need a 440 specific carb?

-
Back