Project "Shart" 1967 Dart GT

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is my 1967 Dart Gt story! About 8 years ago I bought a really cool 1967 Dart GT roller from a local here in Wisconsin. The car was really clean from California. I ended up buying a 440 and installing. I was 90% done with the mechanical's and about to start the body (my profession) when I started going through the divorce process. I unfortunately had to sell it to a member here. I took a few years off of Mopar's but about two years ago I picked up a 69 GT from a member here. Unfortunately the car was rotted badly with really bad frame rails on it so I unloaded that car. I decided that I really wanted a 67 GT and would keep searching for one until I could get my "dream" car back. In the last few weeks I had a member contact me here that had a car that met my needs and we worked out a deal. I work for a large collision company and hired our transport driver to come with me yesterday to pick up my car. We started out with a winch that wouldn't work so we put a band aid on it and headed south to the Bloomington Illinois area. We met up with Jim (a member here) and got a look at his cool shop and car collection. Jim was a really great guy and even through in some parts with the car as well as some awesome t-shirts for me and my twin boys. The car is now home in storage and I noticed the last time she was licensed was 1979! Good year... That's the year I was born haha. I already bought a 440 and trans for the car so that will be my drivetrain. The car is an original V8 car so already has the 8 3/4.

Plans for the car: She's called "Shart" for a reason. This is going to be a budget build (for now) until I really go ahead and restore the car. I plan on cleaning the car up (pressure washer) and start fixing basic things like door fitment, brakes, fuel lines and other items to make it "safe-ish" haha. I then plan to drop the 440 into the car and get all of the bugs worked out like driveshaft and so forth. I then plan on driving it while I do some some upgrades.

The car needs a LOT before I get it "road worthy" like, floor pan, need seats, and a million other things. I think what I am trying to avoid with this car is going full on restoration and ensuring that the car won't sit for years before I get to have fun with it.

One of my major challenges is that I have an incline into my garage and with no engine or trans the car is really going to be hard to move in and out of the garage to work on. Anybody have an issue like this that they work around? I am toying with the idea of installing a winch on my garage wall to pull the car in and out but my garage is really old and I'm afraid I'll pull the entire thing down haha. Thoughts? Let me know what you all think of project "Shart"

More photo's to come.

Dart1.jpg

Dart2.jpg

Dart3.jpg

440.jpg

Here is the first order of business! Strip the interior and clean it out to survey the damages. I got my hazmat suit on and dove in. I found what appeared to be an old doobie under the carpet! I'm going to cut the floor out later this week and prep for a new pan.

20180319_173651.jpg

20180319_173656.jpg

20180319_191639.jpg

20180319_191644.jpg

Look's like a fun project with the boy's, Iv'e seen worse, glad your back in the game and good luck with your build!

Sweet! My friends affectionately call my 67 the Shart as well, funny guys. Looks like a fun project and a good way to keep tabs on your boys!

Thanks guys! She really needs love that's for sure but time I have... parts not so much ha ha.

You need to chop out a piece of the floor, dig down 8"-12", and pour some new concrete with some anchors for the winch in it.

I did a little surgery last night on Shart! Looks like I will need inner rockers as well. Unfortunately I will either need a used section or have to patch some rust that went up the firewall by the dimmer switch.

20180324_172855.jpg

20180324_173021.jpg

Got the floor out. I have the rear seat pan to go on the right side. Then I will clean and prep for welding. Also going to coat in inside of the torsion mount and front rails.

20180325_135620.jpg

Here are some updated pictures. I found that the inner rockers were a bit toasted behind the rear seat pans and the rear floor. I don't want to remove the entire rear floor so I just cut a small section out and will then section in the inner rockers. Rear seat pans removed.

20180327_213409.jpg

20180327_213519.jpg

20180327_213415.jpg

The clean ground areas are where I intend on sectioning. Unfortunately the outer rockers are toast as well so this gets a bit tricky to not have Shart break in half haha.

Some square steel tubing "x'ed" in the door jambs will great decrease your chances of having a pile of "shart" on the floor. Coming along nicely!

Some square steel tubing "x'ed" in the door jambs will great decrease your chances of having a pile of "shart" on the floor. Coming along nicely!

Yes! We don't want that ha ha. I plan on building a few braces for the door area's and then some across the rockers as well. I cut some 4x4's and set them under the front and rear rails to keep Shart from folding up :) Now I just need to order a few grand worth of metal!

March 2016 you came an bought a 8 3/4 housing from me. The boys were with you too.
Here's where I'm going with this the second rear axle housing that I had in the picture I sent to you was narrowed by Jim the guy you bought the car from.
I think that's kind of interesting. An Jim is one of tbe best Mopar people I know.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/rearend2-jpg.1714883432/

March 2016 you came an bought a 8 3/4 housing from me. The boys were with you too.
Here's where I'm going with this the second rear axle housing that I had in the picture I sent to you was narrowed by Jim the guy you bought the car from.
I think that's kind of interesting. An Jim is one of tbe best Mopar people I know.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/rearend2-jpg.1714883432/

Hey! Yes I remember! I still have that housing for something later? Ha Can never have too many parts! Jim is a great guy for sure.

Looks like some shart parts arrived today. This weekend shall be inner rocker weekend!

20180405_183657.jpg

Here are a few Saturday updates. I did a little work on the driver side inner rocker.

20180407_123447.jpg

20180407_152452.jpg

20180407_152456.jpg

20180407_152500.jpg

20180407_174242.jpg

I decided to wash the rat poop off the console. I'll be working on this during the week to do a little restoration on it.

20180408_192602.jpg

20180408_192607.jpg

20180408_192610.jpg

20180408_195220.jpg

-
Back