Project Shart 440

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 440 this weekend for a new project I am starting. I used to own a nice clean 67 Dart GT that I put a 440 in but had to sell due to divorce. This was about 6 years ago. I found another 67 GT now that I will be picking up this weekend. I recently got a 76 440 that supposedly has about 65k on it. I'd like to clean the motor up and maybe do a few minor performance upgrades before sticking it in the new 67 I bought (Project Shart :steering:)

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I can do to crank up a little more power out of this unit? I am looking for fairly cheap options as I am not going full blown resto on this car until later. I was thinking intake carb and maybe something else you motor guru's can suggest? Keep in mind I am a body man not a engine builder but can do most things with guidance! Thanks!

Here are a few pictures and a little dolly I made to move the engine around on.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Search what the compression is on that motor. Should be able to cross reference. Maybe throw cam / timing chain, gears/ intake / carb and electronic distributor in it. It's whatever you have $$ for .

Throw in a medium cam, rhoades lifters, and a fresh timing chain...

Here's a shart chart... :eek:

See how high you can score on the chart.... :rolleyes:

(Pick a level and 'shoot' for it....) LOL! :D

Skid Marks.jpg

that should have an electronic dist already, maybe a recurve and limit the mech advance. I agree with a small cam, intake, carb.
are you planning on keeping exhaust manifolds? maybe a small stall in the trans & a manual valve body ( will eliminate the need for a kick down ).
you could try and find a set of closed chambered heads to bump the compression a little.

that should have an electronic dist already, maybe a recurve and limit the mech advance. I agree with a small cam, intake, carb.
are you planning on keeping exhaust manifolds? maybe a small stall in the trans & a manual valve body ( will eliminate the need for a kick down ).
you could try and find a set of closed chambered heads to bump the compression a little.

Hey Dominic. It does have the electronic dist in it already. I know nothing about how to recurve haha I am going to ditch the manifolds for a set of Schumacher Tri Y headers. I don't have any of the kick down linkage unfortunately. I'd like to avoid a manual valve body. What kind of kickdown set up would I need?

I think I used a Lokar kickdown cable on my last car but it was a few years ago and my memory isn't good...

lokar is probably your only real option. swapping the springs and installing a limit plate is pretty easy. plenty of posts on it & info on the web. once you have the cam specs you should be able to find some info on how much advance you need.

-
Back