Project X Now A EV

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
I just can't believe that Motortrend would do such a thing! They've converted the Iconic 55 Chevy (Project X) into and electric vehicle! This car has been around since the mid 60's and has had a dozen engine combinations and has been a test bed for numerous things. I'm not a Chevy guy but when you deface an iconic car like this it's just plaint WRONG. Chevy wanted to showcase their new "E-Crate" electric conversion and I get that but they could have used another car. Also this thing only has 340 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque! The engine they took out of it easily had twice that horsepower (blown big block). Hell my minivan has 300 horsepower.

Simple proof (to me anyway) that Chevy just doesn't get it.
I sure hope they upgraded the stereo and speakers so they can play "Sounds of the Big Drags" and give that car some soul...'cause electric vehicles don't have any soul.
Sure, the article says Project X has enough range for weekend cruising, but you might as well go cruising in your grandma's golf cart.
JMO

Last edited:
Simple proof (to me anyway) that Chevy just doesn't get it.
I sure hope they upgraded the stereo and speakers so they can play "Sounds of the Big Drags" and give that car some soul...cause electric vehicles don't have any soul.
Sure, the article says Project X has enough range for weekend cruising, but you might as well go cruising in your grandma's golf cart.
JMO
I agree, No Soul

I just can't imagine sitting at a stop light in a beautiful '57 Chevy like Project X and no sound, no vibration, nothing!
It must be me...'cause I definitely don't get it.

Idk seems to me that car has been the test ground for differing technology it’s whole life. Seems like a logical step in the direction Chevy has always headed with that car. Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s not mine.

was just looking tat that.. its cool as hell.. i'd love to see how it runs...

Supposedly it’s a very mild motor. I thought I read around 330 hp which seems odd. I’ve been in some fast EV’s but it’s not my cup of tea.

Idk seems to me that car has been the test ground for differing technology it’s whole life. Seems like a logical step in the direction Chevy has always headed with that car. Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s not mine.
I agree. I could see future, more powerful crate motors being installed. At least it went into a cool car, could have gone in a '89 Cavalier.

I'd still rather see a blown big block in that car.

It may happen one day, but until they can recycle the batteries, it will not be mainstream.
Look at all the people dumping their 5 year old pirus because they need a very expensive battery change.
The company I work for builds alot LI battery powered things, just the testing we go thru is crazy.
Make a small change to an existing design, test, test, test and some times the test go bad.
What the media does not show you is how explosive those batteries are, we record everything, and test in an enclosed steel structure, with lots of cameras.
Sometimes the fire balls are intense, when the batteries get hot, there is no putting them out, basically the best thing to do is run, because if the initial fire does not kill you, the fumes will.

So, they just come out with a 1,000 horse 632 crate. That would be waay more appropriate for the X. I'm no shivy guy AT ALL. But, thats just fucked up. Liked it in Hollywood Knights. They blew it up filming.

I wouldn't mind a nice peaceful drive...but I'd leave the straight 6 in it if I wanted that.

Last edited:
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
002-finnegan-hoonigan-chase-roadkill-gasser-showdown-kall-out-kings-1.jpg

Just proves ev's are a fad to the Big 3,a gimmick reincarnated by Tesla.

EVs will come with or without butchering up iconic cars from the past, F'K motortrend , Friedburger, Fenegon the hole works....

Faster with Faganin, chode spill garage, douche nozzles in black frame glasses trying to identify with a time long before they were born ..
Crap mostly, great time killers if you're out of good things to do and hate yourself enough to watch it. Lol

Wrong car to do it to. I could see a modern injected high horsepower engine, but EV? No way.

I do have three sets of early articles on that car from PHR. Just that car and nicely printed. I was looking at some magazines a guy was selling back in the 1980s. Even though I had no real interest in the car, I had an interest in the articles...

TRULY an end of an era. I can remember, vaguely, when the first "Project X" article came out.

-
Back