Promax or Stealth heads???

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the heads on my stock 383. It currently has 516 casting heads on it now. I don't know the compression ratio, it is a stock 67' 383 truck motor, no wild cam or high performance build by any means. I am running an 850 thermoquad with cast iron intake and shorty headders. Looking for advice on which head I should get. I am hoping to build a 400 based 470" stroker in the future when the budget will allow it. Would either of these heads work on the stroker? Is there a different head I should get instead?

440 source stealth
Intake port 212cc
Exh port 72cc
290cfm
80cc closed chamber
2.14" & 1.81" valves

Promax 9440 performance series
Intake port 210cc
Exh port ???
295cfm
84cc
2.14" & 1.81" valves

Stealths. Better compression and stock look if painted. Have them checked out buy your machinist. No matter what heads u buy.

I would suggest doing a custom camshaft for your 383 and nothing else at this time, or not even the camshaft now. Both of those heads are ok, but if your goal is a 400 based 470ish build in the future, just start spending money in that direction, then go with the Trick Flow 240 heads for a kick *** street/strip engine.
Do it once and be happier. Best bang for the buck.

I would suggest doing a custom camshaft for your 383 and nothing else at this time, or not even the camshaft now. Both of those heads are ok, but if your goal is a 400 based 470ish build in the future, just start spending money in that direction, then go with the Trick Flow 240 heads for a kick *** street/strip engine.
Do it once and be happier. Best bang for the buck.
I hear what you are saying, that is why I thought I would see if either of these heads would work on the stroker in the future. If they won't be good on a stroker then I will wait and just save up until I can do the 470. I know the 516 heads are not great but I can live with it for now because I know that motor is coming out one day.

If you are going to build a stroker later on just to have one on the street, and you won't be spending time at the track to utilize the power potential of the Trick Flow heads that also work great on the street (240cc), then using Edelbrock RPM heads or the offshore Promaxx and others would probably be ok. I just think you'd be a little disappointed at the performance if you stick any of these heads on without long tube headers and matching cam. But at that point in the investment, you are half way to your stroker.

I think I'd go with the stealths, and a performer rpm intake. You can use them later on with the 470, if you go that route. Can have them ported at some point if needed.

-
Back