Proportioning Valves?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
I'm installing Stock disk up front and 10"x2' in rear (73'duster) .. non power.. Do I have to do anything to the proportioning valve besides throw it away and get a manual valve? To adjust the rear's? Possible disk in rear in future... BTW... What's the right master cylinder for disk front drum rear, non power?
As allways... thanks for sharing,
Eric

Well, first of all they aren't proportional valves at all. The one you have will work fine. They're more like a distribution block with a pressure switch to let you know if there's a pressure difference from front to back. As far as a master cylinder, any one you can find. I used the late model aluminum one. works really well. You'll need a manual brake pushrod. If you don't have one try the adjustable one from Mopar performance. I had to cut and weld mine a couple of times to get the pedal height right. The adjustable one would have made it a lot easier. Don;t forget to use the little rubber retainer for the pushrod. Very important.

don

Actually what everybody calls a proportioning valve is really a combination valve. Proportioning valve is the wrong name. Not sure where that got started at but that's what alot of people call it. Just like calling the parking brake an emergency brake I guess.

Anyway if you can get the combination valve off the Duster you got the disc setup off of you'd be well off. The combination valve also has another funtion to it that slows down the action of the disc brakes slightly because they react faster than drum brakes so all 4 brakes apply at the same time called a metering valve. You can use your original valve and it'll work but you'll get a nosedive effect because of the missing metering valve. I believe the disc combo valve had a residial pressure valve in it for the rear brakes also but not positive on that. If you can't get the original valve you can add these pieces if your not happy with the performance with it once you get it together.

Here is a link with alof of good info all about brake valving you might find interesting.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaqvalving.htm

A combination valve is a proportionaing valve that incorperates a residual valve to maintain apx. 2psi for the rear brakes. the proportioning valve just limits the front to rear ratio.
When i did the disc swap on my '56 I went through Master Power and was realy pleased with the products they have....I'm still kicking myself in the *** for being cheap and not getting the combo valve mounting braket (worth the extra). I didn't feel like screwing around with the manual adjusting knob. On the down side in your case if you get the combo valve for a disc/drum setup you'll need a new one for an all disc set up later.

-
Back