Pros and cons of moving gas filler to the trunk

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
Gas keeps backing up and sloshing on my paint when I gas her up, before it ruins my new paint job I’m thinking if relocating the fill to the trunk floor.
Has anyone done this, looking for suggestions and for pros and cons, the obvious smell could be a Problem but with a sealed cap would only have to worry about spill over, at least it’s not going to ruin my new paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas keeps backing up and sloshing on my paint when I gas her up, before it ruins my chew paint job I’m thinking if relocating the fill to the trunk floor.
Has anyone done this, looking for suggestions and for pros and cons, the obvious smell could be a Problem but with a sealed cap would only have to worry about spill over, at least it’s not going to ruin my new paint.
If it's spilling out on the outside, what's stopping it from spilling over on the inside which is lethal in my opinion. It must be the way you're pumping gas, unless your state doesn't allow the customer to pump gas, and some miscreant is doing it. Then for sure I wouldn't risk that. Most of the time those who pump gas for you just lock in the clip and let it fill on it's own until it burps out. Cutting out the present fill hole and relocating it is going to be expensive. Not sure you've thought it through.

If it's spilling out on the outside, what's stopping it from spilling over on the inside which is lethal in my opinion. It must be the way you're pumping gas, unless your state doesn't allow the customer to pump gas, and some miscreant is doing it. Then for sure I wouldn't risk that. Most of the time those who pump gas for you just lock in the clip and let it fill on it's own until it burps out. Cutting out the present fill hole and relocating it is going to be expensive. Not sure you've thought it through.
I always pump my own gas here in Kali, I’ve tried everything to prevent it from burping out including going slow it always spills if you don’t make a good seat with the pump handle it will not pump the gas.
I need to vent the tank better somehow or relocate it.
The car is going to paint in two weeks need to resolve before it goes

Gas keeps backing up and sloshing on my paint when I gas her up, before it ruins my chew paint job I’m thinking if relocating the fill to the trunk floor.

Hello,
Possible vapor smell in car. And if tank is overfilled (at the pump) spillage in the trunk area as stated by A56.

Does your filler neck have a vent like this on it ? If not maybe you can modify yours . Or get one that is.
s-l225.webp

I'd look at the cause first. It worked when it was new, what changed? Clogged vent, etc.

12 years and I have not noticed it being a problem, yes gas sometimes spills out.
I do not leave the nozzle unattended, I hold it and keep it shoved in as far as I can.
I always thought that this is what this was for.
unnamed.jpg

Alan

12 years and I have not noticed it being a problem, yes gas sometimes spills out.
I do not leave the nozzle unattended, I hold it and keep it shoved in as far as I can.
I always thought that this is what this was for.
View attachment 1715488585

Alan
lol, yep for smearing gas residual all over your windshield.

Seriously, if you have a fastback Barracuda, you do NOT want the filler in the trunk. There is NO separation between the trunk and the passenger compartment. No, that dropdown panel doesn't seal airtight, and it wouldn't matter if it did, because there is a connecting vent behind the side panels. I wouldn't do it anyway, because pooling gas in the spare tire well doesn't seem like a great plan, either.

As Alan said, you can't leave the nozzle unattended. It's just the way the filler pipe seems to work. You have to back off the flow rate as it gets full, and don't try to top off. In my part of California, the big floppy rubber hood thing makes it impossible for the nozzle to even stay in place without pushing on it.

Oh, and the vent pipe can clog. BTDT. It is strapped on sort of parallel to the filler neck on a fastback. Try blowing air through it.

The tank vent has little or nothing to do with filling the tank.

The tank vent has little or nothing to do with filling the tank.

I cal B.S. on that . In 1968 , I bought a new 68 383 form S fastback , it puked gas out every time I filled it , used to really piss me off !.
I have a built by me , 68 505'' form S fastback that has never belched gas out , the extra vent in the top of the new tank, "along w/ the stock crap'' does make a differance !!
Belching gas "IS" a vent problem ,usually the vent cant handle the amount of room displaced by the incoming gas ----------------jfyi
Anb , I have ran a fuel cell in the trunk, it has to be sealed , the cap unvented , and the cell vented to the outside , roll over protection too , Lifting unlocking the bed cover or trunk didnt bother me at all.

I think I found my problem, got under the car yesterday and found that the vent check valve was laying on its side, that means that the check ball is closed and not venting.
I ordered hose and a union to extend the vent to a location where I can mount it permanently vertical, hoping that solves my problem.

I think I found my problem, got under the car yesterday and found that the vent check valve was laying on its side, that means that the check ball is closed and not venting.
I ordered hose and a union to extend the vent to a location where I can mount it permanently vertical, hoping that solves my problem.

Did that fix your problem? I have the same issue with my 64, I thought I had just forgotten how to pump gas.
Never had a car with this issue. As some members mentioned up top, I just have to slowly fill the tank.

I always pump my own gas here in Kali, I’ve tried everything to prevent it from burping out including going slow it always spills if you don’t make a good seat with the pump handle it will not pump the gas.
I need to vent the tank better somehow or relocate it.
The car is going to paint in two weeks need to resolve before it goes

vent problem for sure -------------

The early A's seem to be more prone to the sloshing problem The filler is quite low and the fill pipe angle is pretty shallow. Proper venting is the answer. The new auto shut off nozzles are pretty picky with a non vented tank.

The early A's seem to be more prone to the sloshing problem The filler is quite low and the fill pipe angle is pretty shallow. Proper venting is the answer. The new auto shut off nozzles are pretty picky with a non vented tank.

I have a 64 and its almost always sloshes out.

Gas keeps backing up and sloshing on my paint when I gas her up, before it ruins my new paint job I’m thinking if relocating the fill to the trunk floor.

Pro Street it! The filler (and tank) are in the trunk of my Duster. Just the way it has to be. On a driver street car I wouldn't do it that way but it can be done.
DSC_4262 (Large).JPG

-
Back