PUI Seat Foam

-

RichB

CherryCuda65
Reaction score
Just a heads up before buying seat foam for front bucket seats. Before buying the foam, especially PUI foam, compare your original foam to a photo by the supplier saying it applies to your model. I just completed the re-upholstering of the bucket seats for my '65 Barracuda. I bought PUI foam - it was considerably cheaper than Legendary Interiors, and burned out 2 electric knives and countless hours carving the seat bottom foams to fit. They were specified to fit the 65 A body but also B and E? bodies. No Way! 009 is my original foam.

65 Barracuda front seats 006.jpg

65 Barracuda front seats 007.jpg

65 Barracuda front seats 009.jpg

All the Mopar foams I've seen have been pretty generic in size . I figure a 3rd of the foam is trimmed off before the covers fit and sometimes thats just a starting point .

I just spent almost 400 bucks on a couple of charger se bucket seat covers in black from pui and they turned out fkn sweet

Their 66 Satellite covers are nice.

Just a heads up before buying seat foam for front bucket seats. Before buying the foam, especially PUI foam, compare your original foam to a photo by the supplier saying it applies to your model. I just completed the re-upholstering of the bucket seats for my '65 Barracuda. I bought PUI foam - it was considerably cheaper than Legendary Interiors, and burned out 2 electric knives and countless hours carving the seat bottom foams to fit. They were specified to fit the 65 A body but also B and E? bodies. No Way! 009 is my original foam.

View attachment 1715174014

View attachment 1715174015

View attachment 1715174016

Dang I hope you kept the old foam ... new foam isn't latex foam and not as "good a feel" as the old style. heck, I'd pay a bit for that foam and shipping if your going to throw it away.(got a set of 66's that don't have any bun foam at all) I'd repair that in a heartbeat. Using landau contact cement and 20lb density latex 1/2" foam on the seat bun area and I'd be in heaven. 1/4" pink foam(latex not needed and pink or blue 20lb foam is more durable but not a better feel) for the bolsters and canvas to cover the springs. Then grind (no knives used here at the 60's lincoln leather shop) just a new 4" 80grit disk on an angle grinder to shape the new layers of foam. 1/3rd the money and pretty much a guaranteed fit too with the original "new seat " feel.

I agree that Pretty Ugly Interiors (PUI) are poor quality. However, they do fill a niche in the economy. To a very large extent, you do get what you pay for.

like I said mine fit like a glove .
just to clarify , I did not use their seat foam , just the covers, so I can not speak to that.

Dang I hope you kept the old foam ... new foam isn't latex foam and not as "good a feel" as the old style. heck, I'd pay a bit for that foam and shipping if your going to throw it away.(got a set of 66's that don't have any bun foam at all) I'd repair that in a heartbeat. Using landau contact cement and 20lb density latex 1/2" foam on the seat bun area and I'd be in heaven. 1/4" pink foam(latex not needed and pink or blue 20lb foam is more durable but not a better feel) for the bolsters and canvas to cover the springs. Then grind (no knives used here at the 60's lincoln leather shop) just a new 4" 80grit disk on an angle grinder to shape the new layers of foam. 1/3rd the money and pretty much a guaranteed fit too with the original "new seat " feel.

That original foam was sooooo much better! But the seat buns were flaking dust on my floor. I really wanted to seal them and keep my seat covers which were in near perfect condition. I posted a thread and asked for suggestions to seal and repair the seat buns but everyone said they had to be replaced. Unfortunately, they went out in the trash today.
You are correct. The new foam is polyurethane, which forms a skin on the surface when molded. The latex foam is much more uniform and has a softer feel. The original buns also had open cups recessed into the seat bottoms which also improved the comfort.

That original foam was sooooo much better! But the seat buns were flaking dust on my floor. I really wanted to seal them and keep my seat covers which were in near perfect condition. I posted a thread and asked for suggestions to seal and repair the seat buns but everyone said they had to be replaced. Unfortunately, they went out in the trash today.
You are correct. The new foam is polyurethane, which forms a skin on the surface when molded. The latex foam is much more uniform and has a softer feel. The original buns also had open cups recessed into the seat bottoms which also improved the comfort.

I wish I had seen that question earlier and answered it. In my opinion (yeah I know they are like a certain orifice, everybody has one)for all you guys that have seat foam that's leaving bits and pieces on your carpet and you are worried about the foam disintegrating. Latex is air sensitive, so you can spray contact cement(and then a thin vinyl if you chose too) on the underside of the foam to seal the latex against air infiltration to help preserve your foam, I have even had to spray the top side and cover it with a cotton(cheesecloth style)layer due to seat cover tears . If your foam looked like the members here it would be 100 times better to fix that than the new stuff for feel and fit. Poly is okay for looks but the feel of poly is totally different than latex.

-
Back