Pulley - 74 Duster 225 Slant Six

-

edwinator13

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the pulleys and belts on my 74 Duster, 225 Slant Six with P/S, AC. The pulleys are not lining up. I guess they been like that since I bought the car. Replaced the P/S belt twice. The fan/WP pulley falls into part of the crankshaft pulley and it destroys the P/S belt. See pictures. Should the fan/WP pulley be that close to the crankshaft pulley? Is this the right size fan/WP pulley? Can the issue be the WP pushing the pulley forward too much, 4"? What are the possible fixes? First picture is from the side showing how the top pulley falls into the grove of the lower pulley eating away the edge of the belt. Please explain any suggestions in elementary terms. I'm a DIY hobbiest, but not a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

20221209_170110.jpg

20221209_170126.jpg

20221209_162650.jpg

20221209_165930.jpg

20221209_162549.jpg

20221209_170131.jpg

ED. The first thing I notice is the WP pully is too far forward. Do you have a spacer between the water pump and the pulley? There should not be one there. Any spacer should be on the front of the pulley, and behind the fan. You can download part and service manuals here Parts Manuals – MyMopar this will show the layout for the belts/pulleys.
Where in Volusia County are you? I'm not that far from Volusia county. If you still have a problem send me a message, and I'll give you my phone number. You are welcome to come by, and I'll see if I can help you.

Is the water pump/fan pulley supposed to be that large? I will look at mine later today. It may be an A/C equipped car only thing, I don't know. Looks like a later model compressor. Is it a factory A/C car?

All the factory water pump pulleys I have seen have been 6 inches in diameter. Any larger and they will contact the harmonic balancer.

That water pump pulley is incorrect. I believe it is for a Ford.

The correct water pump pulley should have the number 2406039 stamped on the front side of the pulley.

The correct water pump pulley should have the number 2406039 stamped on the front side of the pulley.
Isn't the correct pulley also a dual size? Isn't the inner pulley supposed to be smaller?

There are several things wrong. 1974 slant six "A" body should have a V2 compressor. Some one has done a later model compressor swap. From what I can see in the pictures, I think it is the Aftermarket copy of the c171 compressor. That means the mounting brackets may or may not be correct.

The correct pulley may or may not be double shieve. but both are the same size.
Thanks, Charlie. I don't know why I was thinkin they were different sizes. The one I have on Vixen does have different sizes. Maybe that's what I was thinkin about.

Everyone, thanks for all the input and information. I'm away this week, but will post pictures of the compressor once I get back. The car was originally from Michigan, where it is possible it didn't have AC, then moved to Florida where it was a weekend car for an elderly couple who maybe installed the AC. They may have installed the wrong pulley when they replaced the WP. It has had 4 owners.

I played hell with the pulleys on the slant in my 82 D-150. I bought it as a non-runner, so I have no clue what it was like when it ran. I then rebuilt the engine with all the same pulleys and components - alternator and power steering. I do not have A/C. When I put it back together all the pulleys were offset, the PS was the worst at over 1/2" off. I can only guess they were that way to start with. I had to fiddle with the PS pump dozens of times to get it to line up. The alternator had a two-groove pulley but the water pump had only one belt for that. It just wasn't working right and I messed with it extensively. I finally pulled a two-groove water pump pulley at the junk yard and hallelujah, it was the right one. I now run two belts to the alternator and all is well.

A buddy showed me a trick when fiddling with belts and pulleys. He said to leave the belt off, put all the pulleys on, then run a string in each groove and tie it off tight so it's where the belt would be. This really helps to see clearly if the grooves line up or not.

I finally pulled a two-groove water pump pulley at the junk yard and hallelujah, it was the right one. I now run two belts to the alternator and all is well.
Slant six never ran a two belt setup for the alternator. Only used a single belt for the crank, WP, Alt. even if the alt had a second groove. Where is the second alt, WP belt going to on the crank?

Hi all, I finally got home and was able to remove the pulley and got some answers. The pulley is the right one #2406 039. The issue was the spacer was installed between the WP and the pulley. Once the spacer is relocated outside the pulley, the belts line up without any issues. I have it all apart right now. Will be receiving new belts, radiator hoses and thermostat tomorrow and will do a reinstall. Should be back in business over the weekend. Thank you all for your help.

Slant six never ran a two belt setup for the alternator. Only used a single belt for the crank, WP, Alt. even if the alt had a second groove. Where is the second alt, WP belt going to on the crank?

Sorry for the delayed response. I got the truck with a three groove crank pulley, two groove alt pulley and single groove WP pulley. I couldn't get the alt to stop squeeling no matter how tight I got the belt. So I swapped to the two groove WP pulley and twin belts, problem solved.

20221215_213538.jpg

20221215_213502.jpg

I'd like to find a 2 groove WP pulley for a /6....

Hi all, I finally got home and was able to remove the pulley and got some answers. The pulley is the right one #2406 039. The issue was the spacer was installed between the WP and the pulley. Once the spacer is relocated outside the pulley, the belts line up without any issues. I have it all apart right now. Will be receiving new belts, radiator hoses and thermostat tomorrow and will do a reinstall. Should be back in business over the weekend. Thank you all for your help.
Yeah, that'll do it. lol

Sorry for the delayed response. I got the truck with a three groove crank pulley, two groove alt pulley and single groove WP pulley. I couldn't get the alt to stop squeeling no matter how tight I got the belt. So I swapped to the two groove WP pulley and twin belts, problem solved.

View attachment 1716024326

View attachment 1716024327
I'll modify my statement. As far as I know Mopar never used a 2 belt alternator drive on the CARS. I don't know about trucks or industrial equipment. What you are doing is using the air conditioning drive to supplement the stock alt drive. That will work fine as long as you don't have AC, and the bolt on AC crank pulley is the same dia as the crank alt pulley. There were some AC drive pulleys that are slightly different diameters.

-
Back