Pump it down hard

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In my recent attempts to pump it down easy and also not gum up the "easy" thread, what is the correct sequence of insertion into back of power steering pump. Is it valve/ spring/ fitting? Or spring/ valve/ fitting? AND.... is there a gasket inbetween any of that?

My reason for asking is that i shimmed up to .120 and it was less easy to turn, everything was gravy.... then of course i had to go further and i added more (cant remember right now how much, maybe 2-3 MORE ) and created an adverse condition of hard to steer at idle. I went back to the .120 stack and bled the system, and its still hard to turn at idle..... Pumps right up when spinning it up off idle.... maybe i got turned around and switched the spring and valve?

Ill try to attach a diagram i found.

Screenshot_20200925-164009.png

Any thoughts? I'm going to switch the valve and spring to experiment with it. If anyone wants to weigh in on assembly order or possible solution to hard steering at idle after "pumping it down easy"... I'm all ears.

Ya, I put the guts in backwards. In order of insertion its.......spring/valve/fitting.
thank you for the underwhelming wave of concern.:lol:

So, for anyone watching Ill be adding to the stack of shims now that I have my order of operations correct.

I tried the shim kit from Amazon and it made very little difference. Not worth the trouble. I think the real answer is to get a rebuilt steering box from Steer & Gear or Firm Feel, but that is $$$

Will be interesting to see your results.

I have been just enjoying the car with the .120 shim stack for now. I think that new valve is worth investigation.

-
Back