[WANTED] purple cam p4120231 wanted

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I look at Summit, I no longer see ANY DC Purple cams in stock. And nobody seems to fill backorders any more. Hope I'm I wrong, to be truthful.

P4120231AE was the most-recent part number. It is discontinued, per Chrysler. If you can find a cooperative guy at the local dealer, he might be able to find one on the locator for you. Dealer list at time of cancellation was $400, so you may pay more and you can expect shipping. In other words, $450+ shouldn't come as a great surprise.

I'm not sure what is happening with MP. I was looking for some MP parts that were available with not eta too. I would contact Oregon Cams and see if they can grind you a cam with these specs if that is what you have to have. It would be a quarter of the cost. Surely there are other cams that have similar specs too. I think $400 is ridiculous.

Melling MTF-4 is pretty close to the duration and lift that you want.

lift: 484/510
Duration: 282/292
Lobe Center 112

The cam specs of P4120231

Lift: 484/484
Duration: 284/284
Lobe Center 108

Last edited:

Lobe Center 108
That comes up as a Ford FE camshaft.

Lobe Center 112

Lobe Center 108
That's the one in my car right now! I maybe should have Centerlined it. Those are actually pretty whip-*** cams!

I'm not sure what is happening with MP. I was looking for some MP parts that were available with not eta too. I would contact Oregon Cams and see if they can grind you a cam with these specs if that is what you have to have. It would be a quarter of the cost. Surely there are other cams that have similar specs too. I think $400 is ridiculous.
I think from what I was informed of probably on this site that when the scumbags globalist Chinese owned stellantis, name not capitalized intentionally, acquired Chrysler they axed Mopar Performance. You should have seen the letter I read from Walter P Chrysler's great-grandson PLEADING the board of directors not to sell out to them's scumbags.... it's actually heartbreaking but it'll piss you off at the same time... and the end result is? I am heartbroken and pissed off! Ladies and gentlemen we have been sold Lock Stock and Barrel and screwed to boot. I really hope what I say does not get twisted into some political statement, because it's not! it's the actual truth, I don't care how you twist it you cannot hide the truth! God Bless Y'all! Peace!

Last edited:

Lobe Center 112

Lobe Center 108
You have to be careful comparing different cams to the MP lineup, too. That cam you listed even though it's for a Ford FE, has 204 and 214 @ .050. The MP grind you're comparing it to has 241@.050. Huge difference. Because of the mysterious and proprietary way Mopar listed their .050 numbers, comparisons to other cams is damn near impossible.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is happening with MP.
This has been coming since Chrysler ceased to exist in 1997. The old guard is now long gone, and Stellantis (or whatever they're called this month) has no interest in supporting cars and engines they never built. It's not a matter of whether parts of interest to us are profitable, it's whether they're profitable enough. They're obviously not. Don't expect "out-of-stock" parts to return. The current website makes that evident. Just for fun, I ran four numbers shown as available on that site through the Chrysler parts system. Three out of the four were discontinued, including the only cam on the site (P4452783AE, for which they don't even provide specs).
There is one new product, though: You can buy a carbon-fiber '70 Charger rolling shell for a cool $200K!
I see they've starting whoring the Direct Connection name now too. Took 'em long enough.

This has been coming since Chrysler ceased to exist in 1997. The old guard is now long gone, and Stellantis (or whatever they're called this month) has no interest in supporting cars and engines they never built. It's not a matter of whether parts of interest to us are profitable, it's whether they're profitable enough. They're obviously not. Don't expect "out-of-stock" parts to return. The current website makes that evident. Just for fun, I ran four numbers shown as available on that site through the Chrysler parts system. Three out of the four were discontinued, including the only cam on the site (P4452783AE, for which they don't even provide specs).
There is one new product, though: You can buy a carbon-fiber '70 Charger rolling shell for a cool $200K!
I see they've starting whoring the Direct Connection name now too. Took 'em long enough.
I got enough personal problems going on right now, Lol but that right there just makes me hurt Brother. But YOU see the truth

You have to be careful comparing different cams to the MP lineup, too. That cam you listed even though it's for a Ford FE, has 204 and 214 @ .050. The MP grind you're comparing it to has 241@.050. Huge difference. Because of the mysterious and proprietary way Mopar listed their .050 numbers, comparisons to other cams is damn near impossible.
I always thought it was the Chevrolets that did their cams at .050.... had to jump back and edit

Just look at Blueprint Engines as another example. Were it not for @Johnny Mac, they might not even be offering small blocks. They will eventually stop them sometime in the future when cores run out and they're already beginning to dry up. Johnny's fought tooth and nail to keep them going as long as they have. It's a money losing proposition for them at this point, because they don't sell enough of them. If they sold more, maybe they could look into casting new blocks like they do for the Chevys. I don't know if they cast new ones for the Fords or not, but they cast brand new blocks for the small block Chevy. We've always been the minority, so we can expect to always be.

Just look at Blueprint Engines as another example. Were it not for @Johnny Mac, they might not even be offering small blocks. They will eventually stop them sometime in the future when cores run out and they're already beginning to dry up. Johnny's fought tooth and nail to keep them going as long as they have. It's a money losing proposition for them at this point, because they don't sell enough of them. If they sold more, maybe they could look into casting new blocks like they do for the Chevys. I don't know if they cast new ones for the Fords or not, but they cast brand new blocks for the small block Chevy. We've always been the minority, so we can expect to always be.
Thats pretty accurate. I think it'll be some time before the magnum cores are gone, so lets all cross our fingers we have a good while on that, but we did have to transition from LA's to those. we do our own ford block now also, like the GM's. Hopefully by the time we get the LS, and new Hemi done, there will be enough SB volume left to cycle back to that one. As for cams, there was a point in time we waited near a year for chrysler cams. to build 408's i was paying retail prices for every last one I could get.

all valid points about "mopar performance" or "direction connection" those catalogs are 95% discontinued or stillborn product before the ink is even dry, thats where we try and step in and be our own manufacturer/supplier on things like blocks, heads, etc.

An interesting thing about the OEM's, and their "performance parts" divisions.

Take "GM / Chevy performance", and you can imagine how much bigger they are than "ford performance" or "mopar performance" etc.

That ENTIRE division, is a ROUNDING ERROR to GM as a whole company. OR to look at it another way, GM makes/loses more money from the Daily fluctuation of the Dollar and exchange rates than that.

THATS where aftermarket companies (to me as an enthusiast) need to step up and preserve the hobby. Much like BluePrint Engines, and our partners.

Just some things to add to the conversation,

Thats pretty accurate. I think it'll be some time before the magnum cores are gone, so lets all cross our fingers we have a good while on that, but we did have to transition from LA's to those. we do our own ford block now also, like the GM's. Hopefully by the time we get the LS, and new Hemi done, there will be enough SB volume left to cycle back to that one. As for cams, there was a point in time we waited near a year for chrysler cams. to build 408's i was paying retail prices for every last one I could get.

all valid points about "mopar performance" or "direction connection" those catalogs are 95% discontinued or stillborn product before the ink is even dry, thats where we try and step in and be our own manufacturer/supplier on things like blocks, heads, etc.

An interesting thing about the OEM's, and their "performance parts" divisions.

Take "GM / Chevy performance", and you can imagine how much bigger they are than "ford performance" or "mopar performance" etc.

That ENTIRE division, is a ROUNDING ERROR to GM as a whole company. OR to look at it another way, GM makes/loses more money from the Daily fluctuation of the Dollar and exchange rates than that.

THATS where aftermarket companies (to me as an enthusiast) need to step up and preserve the hobby. Much like BluePrint Engines, and our partners.

Just some things to add to the conversation,
I wasn't 100% sure on the Ford blocks. I know we've discussed it in the past and you told me, but my forgetter works full time. So, I guess there's no chance in HELL yall would start casting LA or Magnum blocks?

I wasn't 100% sure on the Ford blocks. I know we've discussed it in the past and you told me, but my forgetter works full time. So, I guess there's no chance in HELL yall would start casting LA or Magnum blocks?
I wouldn't say that. just bigger pokers in the fire at the moment. LS and Hemi are the next ones after the ford. We'll see what the future holds after that. I'd personally love to do a thick wall version of an LA/Magnum hybrid with the factory roller provisions.

I wouldn't say that. just bigger pokers in the fire at the moment. LS and Hemi are the next ones after the ford. We'll see what the future holds after that. I'd personally love to do a thick wall version of an LA/Magnum hybrid with the factory roller provisions.
That would be very cool......and you're in a greater position now to influence that decision.

That's the one in my car right now! I maybe should have Centerlined it. Those are actually pretty whip-*** cams!

Is your cam the Actual Melling MTF-4 cam or is it the P4120231 the OP is looking for.

It really helps when comparing different cams to have the actual hands on experience with them to help in the comparison. How they run and perform in a given setting.

Here is another cam to check out: Engine Pro MC23302

Chrysler Dodge Mopar V8 Camshaft Stage 4 480/480 Lift Cam 350 361 383 MC23302​

Hydraulic Lifter Cam
Stage 4 Cam (see cam range & selection chart), (2nd Picture).
Duration @ .050 Intake 236 Exhaust 236
Advanced Duration Intake 302 Exhaust 302
Valve Lift .480 Exhaust .480
Lobe Sep. Intake 108 Exhaust 108
Power range 2500-6000
Idle: Rough
Comment: Street and Strip, needs 9.5:1 compression, 2500 + stall converter.

General Stage 4 Camshaft Specifications:
  • Idle Quality: Rough. Manifold Vacuum Will Not Operate Power Brakes
  • Torque: Mid-Range 3000-4000 RPM
  • Fuel Economy: Poor
Recommendations:
  • Towing:Not Recommended
  • Racing: Bracket Drag Racing, Limited Oval Track
  • Computer Controlled Vehicles: Not Recommended
  • Transmission: Automatic With High Stall Converter or Manual
  • Compression Ratio: 10.5:1 To 11.0:1. Check Valve to Piston Clearance

I will be the first to admit it is a tough thing to come up with a comparible cam selection when your favorite one is no longer in stock, lots of variables between manufactures.

Hit a good match with the Melling SPD-22 (340 grind) when our favorite Mopar Performance "340 Cam" was no longer available. Have it in a 360 right now and am happy with the way it runs, idles, and sounds.

Not a bad find there George. (Are you sure it’s for a small block with the mention of 350-361-383 after it?

The MP cam is 5 degrees larger @050. The earlier cam is on a 112 vs the MP’s 108. While the narrower LSA will create a rougher idle, it also delivers a lot of low end torque over the 112, which will have a smooth idle.

To the OP, give a call to a cam grinder. Call up Schneider racing cams (for example) and tell them what you told us. They can cut you a cam but it’ll not be an exact copy but an improved one.

Comp Cams offers their version of purple shafts as well. They feature a small split pattern on there cam.

Food for thought.

Hey Fellas, read #1 and #2 sale rules.

1673792936523.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back