Purple cam question

-

oldmodlover

Reaction score
I recently acquired a. P4120243. MP Purple cam.
I know this is the " low end / basic" one of the 4.

Is it a good choice for a mild street build motor ?

Motor will be .060 over, .080 off both head and block. Ports cleaned up a bit. Some bowl work.
Super six intake with either Holley 350 or a 500.
4 speed. ( sorry, but real hot rod have 3 pedals).

244 dur
.436 lift

Run dual 1 barrels on a offy manifold if you want the best umph.

Great choice for a stage 1 perf slant.
It will pull to 4000-4500 depending on where you stab the cam. You'll wanna get a cam bushing kit to to dial it in. You have to drill the cam gear to use them. Short header would be ideal over stock iron peice.

.....IF you can find one.

.....IF you can find one.

I found one.
20210922_160625.jpg

I'd love to find the .528 MP slant cam. The grind I am planning for it is pretty close. .516, 245@.050 on a 108.

Oh l know.
I am not going to do do anything with it. Except to sell it.
Going to Ohio swap meet with me next weekend.
I wish I could get it. I've always wanted one. Like a complete idiot.

I wish I could get it. I've always wanted one. Like a complete idiot.

I "always wanted one" as well.
I have had it for almost two weeks and the ""newness" has already worn off.
I will never have the money , time , energy to build it.
More of a novelty thing for me. Just a passing fantasy.
It was available, so l got it.
Time for it to take up space in someone elses' garage.
I have the crank for it as well.

I "always wanted one" as well.
I have had it for almost two weeks and the ""newness" has already worn off.
I will never have the money , time , energy to build it.
More of a novelty thing for me. Just a passing fantasy.
It was available, so l got it.
Time for it to take up space in someone elses' garage.
I have the crank for it as well.
I'm sure that it can take 9:1 and maybe 9.5, but I sure wouldn't go any farther.

In a performance app all you can really do is fill the damn thing so it doesn't pop a gasket and then run it till the mains give out.
You could try using oil coolers and stuff like that and only run coolant through the head but I don't know how it'd do on the street in the long run. Strip motor.
I think even a half fill would make it a lot stronger.

Where in Ohio is this swap meet that you mentioned?

I think even a half fill would make it a lot stronger.
It's the head gasket issue. I have a brand new Fel-Pro NOS set for an aluminum engine along with an entire aluminum engine and the car it came out of and the reason for filling that engine is to create a deck where there is none. They diecast that block and used iron liners that were captured by die cast aluminum and the gasket would weep and get to that aluminum with too many heat cycles that aluminum let go at the tops from the iron and began to chip away and fall off removing clamp surface and weeping by 50-70k miles. That's why they quit.
My grandfather ran the line for those at kokomo Chrysler. His head was covered in burn spots from pots exploding and popping. It was really early I. Die cast production. He went on to Mattel toys and cast the hot wheels n stuff like that after chrysler closed that operation down. He had also wanted move anyways to California and scuba dive and fish. He was a highly decorated Korean war vet. Purple heart, silver star, in 3 or books about the war and carried wounded, while wounded, off the front line. He also laid carpet...as I do too. I got to share stories with him as he gurgled with pneumonia in his last weeks. He chuckled smiled. You would never known unless you heard his voice.
He was maybe 5 5" tall or so..
Great man and role model I miss very much.

Last edited:
It's the head gasket issue. I have a brand new Fel-Pro NOS set for an aluminum engine along with an entire aluminum engine and the car it came out of and the reason for filling that engine is to create a deck where there is none. They diecast that block and used iron liners that were captured by die cast aluminum and the gasket would weep and get to that aluminum with too many heat cycles that aluminum let go at the tops from the iron and began to chip away and fall off removing clamp surface and weeping by 50-70k miles. That's why they quit.
My grandfather ran the line for those at kokomo Chrysler. His head was covered in burn spots from pots exploding and popping. It was really early I. Die cast production. He went on to Mattel toys and cast the hot wheels n stuff like that after chrysler closed that operation down. He had also wanted move anyways to California and scuba dive and fish. He was a highly decorated Korean war vet. Purple heart, silver star, in 3 or books about the war and carried wounded, while wounded off the front line. I could hope to be maybe half of what my grandfather was. He also laid carpet...as I do. I got share stories with him as he gurgled pneumonia in his last weeks. He chuckled smiled. You would never known unless you heard his voice.
He was maybe 5 5" tall or so..
Great man and role model I miss very much.
Cool story and he sounds like a great man.

I've always thought maybe if you could get a fresh surface on the entire top of the block and cylinders, like a fresh mill from say a Rottler with a ROCK then degrease the hell out of the fresh metal, let it dry completely and then coat it with something.....something along the lines of POR15, but better, that might stop it from doing all that. It's worth a try. Then call Cometic, tell um what you have and I just bet they could make a gasket that'd work.

All that said, I still think a half fill would ad some rigidity. I'd have to. I wouldn't ever try to build a powerhouse. All I'd do is build a mild low RPM, high torque motor. With the weight loss, it'd still be peppy. I'd like do build one just to do it and see if "all that" would work. Vixen is the perfect car for it, too.

I think crane cams ground all of the purple shafts for mopar performance.. wonder if they would grind one for us? probably not.. they wouldn't have the blanks.. i wouldn't mind having thier 528 lift cam for my 6

I've never seen evidence Crane ever ground them, that certainly means nothing. I know Racer Brown ground them for a time, but other than that, I haven't a clue.

-
Back