Purple Colored Valve Springs?

-

ValiantKindOfGuy

Reaction score
Just bought a parts car with a 340. J heads, torker 2, long tubes, axle dumps. Looks like it was a pretty good running car when it was on the road. To make a long story short the valve springs are purplish. I’m assuming a mopar performance spring. Any ideas? Never seen them but I don’t usually use mopar performance springs.

seen green ones too. Maybe they were rated with colors like torsion bars from the factory? Some had a stripe on them.

seen green ones too. Maybe they were rated with colors like torsion bars from the factory? Some had a stripe on them.
These are pretty much completely purple anodized looking. I’ve seen the good old red stripes and a few other colors just never purple. I don’t think they are stock these heads look recently done and I’m pretty sure this thing has a healthy cam in it. Thanks for the response.

I am not a expert on all Mopar performance Springs but I have run quite a few sets not seeing a purple set . orange for 340 high-performance all the rest were natural steel color

I am not a expert on all Mopar performance Springs but I have run quite a few sets not seeing a purple set . orange for 340 high-performance all the rest were natural steel color
Strange. I’ll post pictures tomorrow if we don’t get an answer by morning. We will figure this out FABO!

I did have one set of crane Double Springs back in the day that definitely had a purple tint to them similar to what you are describing

I did have one set of crane Double Springs back in the day that definitely had a purple tint to them similar to what you are describing

866C6B72-0464-47DE-9459-F288C8B9BCA7.jpeg

6EF5FF88-2C45-47C7-B892-DCEAF254A4A0.jpeg

5B7ED7D9-59F1-4AAE-B359-C7320DDD8172.jpeg

No, I think Crowers are like a pastel purple or just a purple stripe. Perhaps the purple tint is the heat treating? Maybe take one to a machine shop and have them put it on a spring rate tester.

Trying to determine what spring you have base on color is about the stupidest method in the world. The best (and only) way is to measure their installed height, remove them and measure their pressure at that installed height.

Many hardenable steels (all valve springs are hardenable) will turn varying shades of blue, purple, or "straw" depending on the heat treat and temper.

Trying to determine what spring you have base on color is about the stupidest method in the world. The best (and only) way is to measure their installed height, remove them and measure their pressure at that installed height.
Nobody is trying to figure out spring rates. This is just the mystery of the purple springs, as I’ve never seen any spring like this. If I wanted to figure out rates I’d check installed height and then check pressure at installed to coil bind. I have a comp setup right in on my bench. These don’t look hardened they are much different but it’s hard to pick up on camera.

-
Back