• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
im building a truck up and I’m wanting to build it out of stuff I already have. So I’m wanting to mate a 904 up to an AMC 360, and do a divorced 4x4 setup using a Dana Spicer 20 transfer case. Is this just a pipe dream or will the 904 hold up to the 360 and dual drive shafts?

What size tires?
They made 727's in the AMC bolt pattern.

What size tires?
They made 727's in the AMC bolt pattern.
I’m not sure on what size of tires yet. I Alderney have a 904 push button, which is why I want to use it. The 727 you mentioned will that work on a small block, and did they come in a push button option with that bell housing?

Push button?
How old a truck are you building? An old sweptline?

Push button?
How old a truck are you building? An old sweptline?
No. It’s a Jeep Comanche MJ. I have 3 different Jeep trucks, that I’m turning into 1. I have a good AMC 360 (not dodge 360), a 64 Dart 904 push button transmission, and a good Dana Spice 20 transfer case. Like I said I’m wanting to use what I’ve got available, but I can always try and trade for different components to complete this build.

One of the parts trucks, should have a build-able transmission.
It most likely would cost you less in the long run to freshening one of them up.

Crap, I just re-read everything, a mopar trans will not bolt to an AMC, sorry done tried it.
AMC did use 727 and 904 trans, but the bell-housings had a different bolt pattern.

Crap, I just re-read everything, a mopar trans will not bolt to an AMC, sorry done tried it.
AMC did use 727 and 904 trans, but the bell-housings had a different bolt pattern.
I wasn’t sure if the bell housings could be swapped. I have 2 other transmissions that will work. I’m wanting to build this truck with all of my favorite components from previously owned vehicles. A way of having it all I guess.

I wasn’t sure if the bell housings could be swapped. I have 2 other transmissions that will work. I’m wanting to build this truck with all of my favorite components from previously owned vehicles. A way of having it all I guess.

Bell-housings are cast to the trans, so no swapping.

What if I decided to rebuild a Red Ram Hemi Flat Head, instead of using the AMC 360?

Mopar small block trans will bolt up, but I think you need a spacer to position the crank in the proper location in the bell-housing.
There is another thread on here, on bolting a 1st gen hemi to a small block trans. I think hot-heads made the adapter.

FYI I am a jeep tinker also, I pulled the mopar small block and NP435 out of my old ramcharger, and put it in a 78 CJ-7, NP203 case and all.
Stuffed it in a fresh frame, single wall glass body, 4" lift, 36" swampers, it was a fun light old rig.

Mopar small block trans will bolt up, but I think you need a spacer to position the crank in the proper location in the bell-housing.
There is another thread on here, on bolting a 1st gen hemi to a small block trans. I think hot-heads made the adapter.

FYI I am a jeep tinker also, I pulled the mopar small block and NP435 out of my old ramcharger, and put it in a 78 CJ-7, NP203 case and all.
Stuffed it in a fresh frame, single wall glass body, 4" lift, 36" swampers, it was a fun light old rig.

Thank you for the info. You had the advantage of a full frame for your build. My 88 MJ has a unibody on the cab area and a frame under the bed. That’s what happens when they turn an XJ into truck.

-
Back