Pushbutton Parking Brake Cable Removal

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I've started my big disassembly on my '64 and I hit a little snag. The parking brake cable part of the pushbutton unit is held in place with a cotter pit and a crimped bit of metal as seen in this picture. Anyone have any experience taking these apart? I know the obvious solution is to force it open, but I don't want to damage anything if I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
7bd84734.jpg

I've always taken this piece off as an assembly from the shifter-- it has a spring & 1 bolt/nut to remove & it will be free--- Lawrence

I've always taken this piece off as an assembly from the shifter-- it has a spring & 1 bolt/nut to remove & it will be free--- Lawrence
Or, if there is nothing wrong with the cable, why not just take the whole shifter out with the cables attached?

I would, but I'm changing out the shifter and I want to reuse the cable but keep the old shifter as a spare. Turns out it just bends apart with some gentle use of vice grips. I was just making sure there wasn't a better way before I risked breaking the metal.

-
Back