Pushbutton to 4 speed 64 Dart

-

MitchDart

1964 Dart 270 Owner
Reaction score
Anyone swapped a swapped out a pushbutton trans on a 64 Dart for a 4 speed?
I have the PB that keeps giving me issues. Picking up a donor with a 4 speed.
How difficult a swap is this?
Thanks in advance for any advice/ lessons learned.

Only issues I know of "from reading" are you don't have much bell clearance (seam in the tunnel?) and you likely have the flanged drive U joint you will surely want to go to a later transmission with slip joint, so new driveshaft made. And of course you'll need an "A body" 4 speed (short shaft and shifter location) and of course A body linkage and tunnel "hump."

Ya, the level of difficulty depends a lot on what your donor car is and how complete it is.

Ya, the level of difficulty depends a lot on what your donor car is and how complete it is.
And your level of mechanical expertise. Just look at the donor car and absolutely everything related to the 4 speed and clutch will have to be changed. You may have to do a bit of welding as well to transfer clutch linkage brackets and the like.

Anyone swapped a swapped out a pushbutton trans on a 64 Dart for a 4 speed?
I have the PB that keeps giving me issues. Picking up a donor with a 4 speed.
How difficult a swap is this?
Thanks in advance for any advice/ lessons learned.
what's a PB?
as for the tunnel, aren't they all the same?
If so, I used an aluminum bell housing out of a 70 340 Cuda. I think the only mod to the BH was that I sawed off some unnecessary ear on the BH, and I'm not sure that I didn't do that just for header clearance.

what's a PB?
as for the tunnel, aren't they all the same?
If so, I used an aluminum bell housing out of a 70 340 Cuda. I think the only mod to the BH was that I sawed off some unnecessary ear on the BH, and I'm not sure that I didn't do that just for header clearance.
Push Button. What's a BH? LOL

Will your crank accept the 4-speed input shaft; that is the big question?
There is a work-around for this if it doesn't.

You got bucket-seats?
If yes.; personally, having already done this in a 68 Barracuda; I recommend a long-tail trans and move the shifter back between the buckets and up as high up as you can. Say goodbye to missed shifts. My shifter is up high enough that the upper pivot bolt is above the floor line. And I use an old Mr.Gasket Bang! shifter, with it's very short stick. And you gotta use a ball for a **** knob, you just gotta. There are a thousand hand-positions you can use, to fit every conceivable situation.
But yeah, you are gonna need some fabrication skills.
But the PB automatic is just a PB automatic. It rebuilds just like any other 904.

Last edited:
-
Back