Putting in an 8 3/4 rear in my duster that has a 7 1/4 rear parking brake cable question.

-

Sixpack_Sid

Reaction score
It looks like my original parking brake cables from my 7 1/4 will work with my 8 3/4. Any thoughts? My 8 3/4 came out of a 66 coronet b body that I moved the perches into the a body measurements. Thanks

My money is on it will fit just fine.

Use the hose clamp method for removing the cables.

BTW you can also check the Factory parts book for part numbers for various applications and if they match... same part.

If the 7 1/4 rear has 9 inch brakes they won't work. The 10 inch brake cables are longer. So your question cannot be answered without knowing what diameter brakes came on your 7 1/4 rear

Nope, same cable.....9", 10", 7 1/4, 8 3/4 , Dart, Valiant, Barracuda.... It's usually the front cable that is different depending on the wheel base, except for the '66 and earlier A-bodies where they change the intermediate cable. There's plenty of adjustment to account for the difference in brakes size.

If the 7 1/4 rear has 9 inch brakes they won't work. The 10 inch brake cables are longer. So your question cannot be answered without knowing what diameter brakes came on your 7 1/4 rear
Not true, same part number in the Chrysler parts manual...

same part number in the Chrysler parts manual
Screenshot_20230226-170557.png

And it's Cudamark for the win! At least in 67!

You all can think what you want. There is no way a cable for 9 inch brakes is the same as 10 inch brakes. I have them here and the inner cable is shorter for 9 inch. even the spring on the cable is a different length.
Did the same with my 73.
In 73 your 7 1/4 could have had 10 inch brakes. Most 73's didn't come with 9 inch brakes. Also 72 and newer took the same cable for both sides. I have installed many 8 3/4's and when ever the car had 9 inch brakes the cables needed to be changed due to the cable being shorter including the spring in the drum. Could you rig it to make them work? I don't think so how would you lengthen the spring and cable.

I'll get you some pictures of the two cables side by side if you all need them. But common sense should wake your brains up.

Mine was a factory disk brake car so probably had 10" rears.

Did 66 B bodies use a 9" rear drum? He won't know till he measures the rear drum.

Glad that you were able to use original cable. A lot of numbers thrown out here, drum sizes, part #'s and a lot of guessing. But the best way to find out is to just do it.

74 never had 9 inch brakes

Wrong again!

The ‘74 drum/drum cars all got the redesigned 10” front brakes, but the 9” rear drums were continued. So a ‘74 drum/drum car could have had 10” drums in the front and 9” drums in the back. All in the factory TSB…

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1973/05-03-73C page1.jpg
1a7ecbff-bed9-4680-b535-6d724ba4c45c-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Hey guys,
The original cables work! Thanks for all your replies.

Sorry I was late to the game! My ‘74 was a disk/drum car with a 7.25 and 10” BBP rear drums. I swapped in a 68-70 B body 8 3/4, used 11x2.5” rear drums, and yes, the stock parking brake cables. All the same!

-
Back