QA1 k member install

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The previous owner installed the k member and said that it is still in need of adjustment.

It looks like the strut bars are not complete as there is no rubber on both sides for the attachment to the k member. Anyone have clarity or a picture of your setup?

The large hex bolt or spacer is odd-looking. What would be the reason for that? Is there a purpose or just an idiot assembly?

What do I do to make this work? I will be pulling the engine soon- it is not mounted but just sitting there. I ordered correct mounts from classic for the 67-72 models(440 motor)

Lastly, does anyone use the original parts or do they replace their upper and lower arms and the strut?

C7C88D1A-C718-4A64-A3C0-6EE8078D5C18.jpeg

A7CBCAD5-3D52-4C66-9F4B-1ABE5978CD23.jpeg

78F2A2FB-D026-4008-AE66-7884685011DF.jpeg

Hey Kent, first of all yeah it’s missing the strut rod bushings. Second, those mounting bolt things look sketchy at best! I’m using the QA1 K and control arms. But as far as I know the stock arms will work fine. QA1 has great customer service, don’t be afraid to shoot them an e-mail. I can take some pictures of mine when I get home if you like. I know it doesn’t help you now though. There may be a few shots in my build thread (link in the signature box).

Best of luck

Mark

Thanks for the reply. When I get home I will look at your build. I figure I will have to remove everything and re align everything. Any current pics would be great as well. With the quality of work that I see was done I am taking nothing for granted. I will measure and torque everything according to manufacturer’s specs.

Btw. I love the build you are doing. Any pics of the install of the k member would help.

The QA1 just comes with longer Bolts with a washer for the front. Nothing special
Not sure what he was trying to do but I guess he used the threaded to help install? Hard telling

The front bolt is a pretty tight fit with the front tubes and doesnt really provide any room for "adjustment" at least in terms of K-frame to chassis

upload_2018-8-31_12-39-4.png

The previous owner installed the k member and said that it is still in need of adjustment.

It looks like the strut bars are not complete as there is no rubber on both sides for the attachment to the k member. Anyone have clarity or a picture of your setup?

The large hex bolt or spacer is odd-looking. What would be the reason for that? Is there a purpose or just an idiot assembly?

What do I do to make this work? I will be pulling the engine soon- it is not mounted but just sitting there. I ordered correct mounts from classic for the 67-72 models(440 motor)

Lastly, does anyone use the original parts or do they replace their upper and lower arms and the strut?

View attachment 1715218235

View attachment 1715218236

View attachment 1715218237
that looks like something he did, not a standard QA1 mount. I'd cal QA1 as that looks sketchy.

When I move the car to my shop from the garage and pull the engine I will re-install the k member with reference to the instructions from QA1 and pics from here. I thought the install looked weird. Thanks so much. All pics welcome (thanks @myduster360) as well. I suspect that the steering connections are all off as well which may have prevented fitting the proper rubber on the struts.

I don't mean to high jack, (sorry if I did) but, did you have to go to a center sump oil pan? I have the full QA1 front suspension and I can't remember if they (QA1) said I need to go to a center sump or rear sump. Thanks guys. Sorry again

I don't mean to high jack, (sorry if I did) but, did you have to go to a center sump oil pan? I have the full QA1 front suspension and I can't remember if they (QA1) said I need to go to a center sump or rear sump. Thanks guys. Sorry again
Yeah as far as I can tell you’ll need the center sump. Although there is a little over 5” of space between the front edge of the sump on my pan to first cross support on the QA1 K frame. Sorry about the crappy pic.

image.jpg

@OCswinger . This is how I got the car and the k member setup still needs some work so I would not go by my pics. Use @MomsDuster for example. He has helped me with my fitment.

So I figured out what the previous owner did with this car. Very strange.. It appears that the K member that was used is not the one that belongs in an A body. The rear part of it fits to the torsion bars and mounts to the frame with some modifications to the bolt holes. But the front mount did not match up with the mounting areas at all so they drilled through the frame and put bolts through it. Since the struts did not fit I am ordering new ones but I don't know if they will fit either. I think I have the k member from a B or E body QA1 part 52314 instead of 52313 which is for A body. Am I in for trouble using it like this? All sorts of things are coming into play, Camber, caster, alignment, engine mount placement. What to do????

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

I would find out what exactly that K-member fits and sell it (assuming the previous owner didn’t hack it) Then get the correct one for the car. Save yourself a lot of future headaches.

if you have a B/E body Qa1 K, you are right about additional suspension / alignment problems attempting to make it work in an A body.

I would buy a A-body K and add the B/E body one to the shelf / wall of shame.

I have a message into QA1 about the issue and I will see what they say. I will post their answer. It does not look good and I figured that the best answer is to remove it and get the correct one. Thanks for the advice/warning.

if you have a B/E body Qa1 K, you are right about additional suspension / alignment problems attempting to make it work in an A body.

I would buy a A-body K and add the B/E body one to the shelf / wall of shame.
1000000 percent agree. Yikes!

drilling up thru the frame and using longer bolt / stud to connect the K sounds like a HUGE WEAK AREA.....??

I spoke to QA1 and they had never heard of that before. I did the only prudent thing and ordered the correct one from Summit. That could have been a nightmare. Gladly avoided it.

I spoke to QA1 and they had never heard of that before. I did the only prudent thing and ordered the correct one from Summit. That could have been a nightmare. Gladly avoided it.
Smart move.

I have an e body if you are looking to sell it. We’re the only mods to the bolt holes?

-
Back