QA1 Upper Control Arms

-

Nice69

Reaction score
Anyone tried out the QA1 #52301 tubular UCA kit listed for 67-72 A-bodies with Heim ends? I 'm wondering whether they come with small ball joint or the larger 73'up BJ, also can't seem to find the part number to order for rod ends on the site.....RMS has tubular UCA's bu twith the large BJ, apparently you have to ream out the spindles, would rather avoid this.....:violent1: Tried emailing Mancini's and QA1 no replies....:banghead:

Sounds like if I start building the control arms, I should make it an option...big or small balljoint. Hoping to have a set together in the next couple weeks...if you want to wait. ;)
HAHA.

RMS will ream your spindles out for free...just pay for shipping...

qa1 are for the large ball joints...the heim joints should come with the UCA

Talked to Bill Reilly today. Awesome guy. I prefer speaking the man when I buy stuff.

The only one I know of that makes SBJ arms is Hotchkis, but there way out of control to much $$$.

I love QA1 shocks(on my DD truck), but Those QA1 arms are formerly cap auto products arms. IE: Crap auto products.

Until i see some reviews demonstrating an improved quality, i wont buy them.

I love QA1 shocks(on my DD truck), but Those QA1 arms are formerly cap auto products arms. IE: Crap auto products.

Until i see some reviews demonstrating an improved quality, i wont buy them.

This is true, QA1 bought out CAP.

The problem with the CAP UCA's wasn't the design though, it was the welding and poor quality control. A lot of people never had any problems with the CAP products, myself included. I know of a few people that bought them from Mancini and didn't even know they were from CAP. I don't run the CAP UCA's anymore (upgraded to Hotchkis), but I still have their LCA's on my Challenger, and have had them on my car for almost 30k miles now. If QA1 is making the arms, I would think they would be much improved in both of those areas.

Still, it would be nice to see/hear what QA1 is doing differently as far as production goes, since that was the problem before.

Hi Dave,if your going to the tubular UCA,s you might wanna look into the Hiem joint strut rods also.I put them on the 66 Dart with the RMS UCA,s and QA-1(12-way)adjustable shocks.These have helped with my 60fts.Good luck and see you at the track in May.:burnout:

The problem with the CAP UCA's wasn't the design though, it was the welding and poor quality control. A lot of people never had any problems with the CAP products, myself included. I know of a few people that bought them from Mancini and didn't even know they were from CAP. I don't run the CAP UCA's anymore (upgraded to Hotchkis), but I still have their LCA's on my Challenger, and have had them on my car for almost 30k miles now. If QA1 is making the arms, I would think they would be much improved in both of those areas.

Still, it would be nice to see/hear what QA1 is doing differently as far as production goes, since that was the problem before.

I hope you're right. I'd love a set of tubular lower control arms. I just never trusted the cap auto quality to buy them.

Hi Dave,if your going to the tubular UCA,s you might wanna look into the Hiem joint strut rods also.I put them on the 66 Dart with the RMS UCA,s and QA-1(12-way)adjustable shocks.These have helped with my 60fts.Good luck and see you at the track in May.:burnout:
Yep, got the struts on my list, it will be the Cal trac 90/10's up front, the 90/10's on the car are over 25 years old! Looks like the RMS UCA are the best bet just didnt want the hassle of reaming the knuckles to fit the large ball joint and I don't want to do the 73 up knuckle uprgade right now, as I have the KH 4 piston discs. See you in May:D

Sounds like if I start building the control arms, I should make it an option...big or small balljoint. Hoping to have a set together in the next couple weeks...if you want to wait. ;)
HAHA.

Interesting. I want to stay with my small BJ knuckles so I can keep my KH four psiton dics, don't have the $$ for wilwood stuff yet!

Small ball joint arms in the making...should have a fixture this week. Been doing alot of R&D and "engineering" with a fellow FABO member who is one smart cookie. Stay tuned...

The only one I know of that makes SBJ arms is Hotchkis, but there way out of control to much $$$.

Wow, Purple Haze you ain't kidding....:prayer:way to rich for my budget right now, too bad as they are sweet looking arms. Looks like it wil be th elarge ball joint arms from RMS, QA1 or Magnum force that way when I upgrade to 73 up knuckles I won't have to re-visit this issue.Thanks everyone for your input, happy racin!

RMS will ream your spindles out for free...just pay for shipping...

qa1 are for the large ball joints...the heim joints should come with the UCA

Hey 70AAR, is there any way to do this ream out with the spindles on the car? Surely someone has done this before....anyone have any suggestions or first hand knowledge on the size reamer to use?,......then theres the nagging voice saying should I, after all I guess one should check the amount of meat left before cutting so as not to weaken the knuckle to the point of failure. This car will eventually see wheels up launches (I hope). I guess if RMS is doing it to customers knuckles it must be accpeted practice....

The problem with the CAP UCA's wasn't the design though, it was the welding and poor quality control. A lot of people never had any problems with the CAP products, myself included. I know of a few people that bought them from Mancini and didn't even know they were from CAP.

Thanks 72bluNblu thats the kind of info I'm lookin for got burned on a cheap Chinese damper from Proffessional Products almost took out my stroker:eek:ops:, definitely don't want sub-standard arms on the car. Better to buy something made in USA, at least it will hold together.

Hey 70AAR, is there any way to do this ream out with the spindles on the car? Surely someone has done this before....anyone have any suggestions or first hand knowledge on the size reamer to use?,......then theres the nagging voice saying should I, after all I guess one should check the amount of meat left before cutting so as not to weaken the knuckle to the point of failure. This car will eventually see wheels up launches (I hope). I guess if RMS is doing it to customers knuckles it must be accpeted practice....

Have no idea...I read that RMS would do that...have no first hand experience...you might want to call and ask Bill at RMS about it....

Thanks 72bluNblu thats the kind of info I'm lookin for got burned on a cheap Chinese damper from Proffessional Products almost took out my stroker:eek:ops:, definitely don't want sub-standard arms on the car. Better to buy something made in USA, at least it will hold together.

No problem, but CAP was actually a US/Canadian company, with everything welded together right here in North America.

I suspect that the large majority of the products made by CAP were just fine. But they had a run where one of their welders just wasn't cutting it, and those products were sold instead of hitting the scrap bin. I have no worries about continuing to run my CAP tubular lower control arms, I've inspected them and the welds are solid. I do take a look at them if I'm under the car, but I do that with a lot of original parts too.

Anyone tried out the QA1 #52301 tubular UCA kit listed for 67-72 A-bodies with Heim ends? I 'm wondering whether they come with small ball joint or the larger 73'up BJ, also can't seem to find the part number to order for rod ends on the site.....RMS has tubular UCA's bu twith the large BJ, apparently you have to ream out the spindles, would rather avoid this.....:violent1: Tried emailing Mancini's and QA1 no replies....:banghead:

PM HemiDenny about this... he may be able to help you. :thumbup:

If you want to do it yourself

7 degree 1.5" per foot tapered reamer. Good ones are about $80.

If you want to do it yourself

7 degree 1.5" per foot tapered reamer. Good ones are about $80.

Hey Badart, awsome, :cheers:Thanks for the info, I assume I can buy one of these from a machinery/tool supply outlet... will check this out, on my budget it's all about savin some coin.

Funny it is now 2015 some one out there must have used QA1 upper A arm and and what about the lower any one put it on a lot of bs out there makes it hard to make sense of it all what is good and what is not 1972 demon would like to upgrade the whole front end disc brakes ect. so who out there has used QA1 upper and lower for the stock torsion bars and what about the ram man?? his disc brakes set up? anyone deal with him yet Thanks

Funny it is now 2015 some one out there must have used QA1 upper A arm and and what about the lower any one put it on a lot of bs out there makes it hard to make sense of it all what is good and what is not 1972 demon would like to upgrade the whole front end disc brakes ect. so who out there has used QA1 upper and lower for the stock torsion bars and what about the ram man?? his disc brakes set up? anyone deal with him yet Thanks
You might want to start a new thread in the Suspension forum with your questions...get a quicker response.Just saying..

72bluNblu said in his reply on 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM that he had QA1 lower control arms on his Challenger and he was pleased. It's been over 3 years since then.

-
Back