Quarter panel replacement cost

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to take my 73 Sport to the body shop for paint and body work. I can do most anything on a car, but not body work. I know we have some experts on here. I'm looking for a ball park number for a good shop to replace a quarter panel. Just don't want to get taken advantage of when I get the estimate. Thanks!

Getting ready to take my 73 Sport to the body shop for paint and body work. I can do most anything on a car, but not body work. I know we have some experts on here. I'm looking for a ball park number for a good shop to replace a quarter panel. Just don't want to get taken advantage of when I get the estimate. Thanks!

Patch or whole panel?

JW

Whole panel on one side, patch on the other.

Legit shop with a tax ID? 800.00 for a full quarter and 4-600 for a patch. Labor only. That's without finding other problems.

Some people may not agree with the numbers but it not what bodyshops want to do now. This would also be a shop that won't put you into paint prison.

I priced something similar last year to your scope of work.

JW

Thanks, I thought you might know. I'm probably going to Bay City Classics in Norfolk. One of the guys I used to race against works there and they do some good work. Plan to have paint and body work done there, plus all gasket installs and door, hood, and trunk alignment. I'll do the interior, glass, bumpers, and exterior trim when I get it back.

Thanks, I thought you might know. I'm probably going to Bay City Classics in Norfolk. One of the guys I used to race against works there and they do some good work. Plan to have paint and body work done there, plus all gasket installs and door, hood, and trunk alignment. I'll do the interior, glass, bumpers, and exterior trim when I get it back.

The materials cost at the shops are way over the top now. That's where alot of the cost come from.....

JW

The issue is the not seen parts, outer inner fender wells, trunk drop offs, rocker panels, you do have to have something to attach the new 1/4 panels.
Installing a new full 1/4 also involves removing most of the interior, headliner and glass.
It is time consuming, and a shop does not work for free.
Do as much as you can before you take it there, the bill will be less.

updates on the Duster 002.jpg
IMG_5713.jpg
My body guy replaced my qtr panel in 15 days. Mind you once the old was cut away other work had to be done. Wheelhouse, extension, and repair to rocker, etc. So much is hidden by years of moisture hiding out.
He leaded all the seams including where he cut just below the sail panel.
It was not done in a body shop, but his own shop (retired from the business).
IMG_5713.jpg

Last edited:
If your quarter is rusted out you can be certain there will be more hidden rust. Outer wheelhouse and trunk extensions usually need some work at minimum.

Legit shop with a tax ID? 800.00 for a full quarter and 4-600 for a patch. Labor only. That's without finding other problems.

Some people may not agree with the numbers but it not what bodyshops want to do now. This would also be a shop that won't put you into paint prison.

I priced something similar last year to your scope of work.

JW

$800 for a full quarter seems really cheap. The quotes I've seen have all been over $1k.

$800 for a full quarter seems really cheap. The quotes I've seen have all been over $1k.

That was the number I was given last year. Other things would jack the cost up quickly. This was also a rough smoothing on the seams and I was removing all trim. 1k wouldn't surprise me at all....

JW

-
Back