Question 74 Duster Bench to bucket

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the bench seat holes in the floor are the same distance apart as the outboard bucket seat holes.
Anyone also know the dimension how far apart the holes are center to center.

If your going from bench to buckets, you will need to put body plugs in the old holes and drill 4 new holes. There are dimples in the floor board that mark the locations for the bucket seat holes. Here is a picture where you can make out the plugged bench seat holes and the new holes.
You will need to add plates on the inside holes to give the floor pan strength. The other holes are backed with braces that the bench used.

20181209_175644.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more pics that might help. You might notice that the holes are not centered on the flat pads of the floor. Make sure you use the dimples to locate your holes. If you just drill center on the flat pads it wont work out well.

DSC01939.JPG

DSC01938.JPG

If going to buckets you want to use the re enforced brackets that you line up with dimples and tack to the floor. AMD carries the brackets. The pictures here were found and used for reference. The brackets have one corner cut off. Notice the front passenger plate is the only one in different position from the rest. Once tacked in we placed seats to mark the outer holes. Then plugged any holes that did not need to be used. My car had a few extra holes from previous owner. Seat Brackets | AMD 407-1067-S

image.jpg

400-1267_800.jpg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies I might have a bit of a problem my floors pans have some repairs that was done in the past might not be able to weld the plates in, there is plenty of structural strength can they be appoxied

Thanks so much for the replies I might have a bit of a problem my floors pans have some repairs that was done in the past might not be able to weld the plates in, there is plenty of structural strength can they be appoxied

Steve,
That's an interesting thought. I suspect that it could be done and it could theoretically be totally fine. For me, the question would be answered by; "would this pass tech inspection at the track?"

And...what are you epoxying to? You'd be putting a lot of faith in the previous owner's repairs.

It sounds like you love this car and you're investing money to make it better...I would encourage you to get some quotes on welding in a proper floor pan or having the previous repairs corrected with actual metal and weigh that against the risks and variables that go along with the epoxy idea.

Purely my opinion.

Steve,
That's an interesting thought. I suspect that it could be done and it could theoretically be totally fine. For me, the question would be answered by; "would this pass tech inspection at the track?"

And...what are you epoxying to? You'd be putting a lot of faith in the previous owner's repairs.

It sounds like you love this car and you're investing money to make it better...I would encourage you to get some quotes on welding in a proper floor pan or having the previous repairs corrected with actual metal and weigh that against the risks and variables that go along with the epoxy idea.

Purely my opinion.
Thanks for your support and wisdom

I have a question now I’m into this, it appears there’s an offset on the left drivers side between the tunnel and the driver side seat than that on the inboard side of the passenger seat.
Concerned that my custom consol will look like it’s off to the the passenger side a bit.

I have a question now I’m into this, it appears there’s an offset on the left drivers side between the tunnel and the driver side seat than that on the inboard side of the passenger seat.
Concerned that my custom consol will look like it’s off to the the passenger side a bit.
With enough measuring you'll find the entire drive line is offset. So the OEM seats and console were centered between the doors. You'll need to take the tunnel offset into account when building a custom console so it sits proper.

Guys,
I have a set of these plates ready to go in. I wasn't sure of the arrangement so I called AMD to verify.

The answer that I got was even more puzzling. According to the tech (a very nice guy with two Mopar B Bodies of his own), the plates are intended to go on the top surface of the floor (inside the car) and only on the mounting bolts that are closest to the transmission tunnel. So one set of four plates should do two seats....? That doesn't sound right to me at all. I assume the outboard bolts will need reinforcement too, no?

How did you know where to install yours? Where did they go?

Its been a while but I believe the outside holes use the existing brackets that supported the bench seat. The brackets have some holes just inboard of the existing holes that need to be drilled. In other words, the holes are in the brackets but not the floor pan. The old bench seat holes, on top of the raised hump should be plugged with a body plug or welded shut.

Image1.jpg

yep , 4 reinforcement plates go inside the floor at the 4 inboard holes.

Its been a while but I believe the outside holes use the existing brackets that supported the bench seat. The brackets have some holes just inboard of the existing holes that need to be drilled. In other words, the holes are in the brackets but not the floor pan. The old bench seat holes, on top of the raised hump should be plugged with a body plug or welded shut.

View attachment 1715465325

Mike,
Thanks. So the same bracket used by the bench is used by the bucket, just a different hole that's more in-board. I'll look for that tonight.

So the pics above with these reinforcement plates on the underside of the floor boards (outside the car) are an "incorrect" use of the plates?

Last edited:
-
Back