Question about 8.25 rear end pinion snubber

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently acquired a 1964 Valiant Signet 200 and know absolutely nothing about it. I purchased it from a classic car showroom after taking it for a test drive. All I know is that it has a mildly built 360 in it with a 8.25" rear. I'm doing a rear brake job and when I look at the rear end, the man who built this used a very tall pinion snubber setup (not stock looking). I'm wondering if this is causing a problem with a drive line vibration I'm getting. When the car rests on it's tires, should the pinion rest on the under-body or should there be a slight gap, I know springs will settle with time but wondering if the snubber setup currently is pushing the pinion angle too far down and I'm getting the vibration?

20190204_132737.jpg

The bracket is to tall ! The snubber should not be in contact when on the ground. This setup was for drag racing only.

The stock snubber mounts to the differential bracket without the extension.

The snubber should be like any other bump stop. Not supposed to ride on it. Not supposed to be any driveline vibration regardless. Pinion angle would be a lot different if the rubber bumper was where it belong. I suppose some of a drive line vibration would dissipate through those long legs under that bump stop but.... who knows? Only 2 bolts in removing it for trail.

Yeah, you should have about an inch space above it at normal ride-height. If you change ride height, you need to inspect the new wind-up distance. Adjustables are available.

OK, I thought it was too tall but wanted to check first before seeing if I can remove the snubber and attempt to get it back in the spot it should be. Thanks for the replies

a old pinion subner as traction bars. early 60s and still today great for traction . as traction bars they stiffened up leaf springs mopar recommended .

-
Back