question about a 8 3/4' mopar differential

-

cult colt

Reaction score
I'm going to stretch the definition of A-body. I have a dodge A-108 van. It has the differential in the above title of the post that's used in lots of old mopar vehicles. I'm replacing the wheel bearings along with the seals and gaskets. The gaskets are thin metal and they replace paper gaskets. The metal gaskets have a ridge running around the diameter ( or a groove if you look on the opposite side). With the paper gaskets both sides were same but with the metal ones you have to decide which way to face them. I think they updated the gaskets to stop them leaking gear oil on the brakes and the inside sides of the tires. That's what mine were doing so I want to get it right. This is assuming it makes a difference.The order the parts go on in starting at the inside side of the vehicle is: flange on the rear axle housing - gasket - brake mechanism mounting plate - gasket - axle retainer plate. There are 4 identical gaskets - 2 to each side.I hope this isn't too confusing. Any advice would be welcome.

Welcome to FABO. Make sure you have the correct width, don't vans have wider rear ends? If they are the same as B-bodies you will probably be all right though. It is better to find out first that go back and do stuff twice.

The INNER seals keep gear oil out of the brakes, AND wheel bearings. The wheel bearings are packed with grease, NOT lubricated by gear oil. Those outer gaskets just keep grease in the bearing, and dust out. Replace the inner seals.

The gaskets inside the drums from the factory,were white foam. The ones between the backing plates and the flanges were embossed metal. The embossed metal I have always just slammed in there without a care as to this way or that way.
Like Repli says, if your gear oil was in the drums, replace the inner seals,(the ones in the axle tubes) and repack the bearings. The outer seals "may" be fine enough to keep the grease in.If your brake shoes were oiled they are toast, throw them away. If the drums were oiled, they need to be solvent washed, gas-washed,dried, and oven cooked,at more than 250*F,til the stop smoking. Then cooled and gas-washed again.
The gas-wash is very dangerous, so a lot of guys use a generic brake-cleaner instead.More money, less efficient, but waaay safer. Do not use Diesel, or kerosene;these have oils and paraffins in them.

Kind of an old forum but to follow up on the part of the question that wasn't yet answered. (maybe somewhat by AJ) Does it matter which direction the flange gasket with the ridge goes? Thanks!

Kind of an old forum but to follow up on the part of the question that wasn't yet answered. (maybe somewhat by AJ) Does it matter which direction the flange gasket with the ridge goes? Thanks!

No, the ridge is just there to create a more positive seal. (just like a metal intake gasket)
Doesn't matter which side is out or in.

-
Back