Question about Edelbrock RPM Airgap - thermostat housing leak

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Well I keep going out in the garage and finding a puddle of antifreeze in my thermostat housing, and a big puddle in the valley of the airgap manifold. Manifold is new, thermostat and housing are new, put it together with permatex ultra gray.

I think its seeping up around the threads of the bolts, but cant remember from when I put it together. Do the bolt holes go clear through into the water jacket? Anybody have one on the bench they could look at?

IMG_2156.JPG

Typically the reason for a TStat housing leak is the mating surfaces arent flat. Real common with the chrome ones.
I would make sure the mating surfaces are square. If you use sealer, permetex makes a specific sealer for thermostat housings.

Well I keep going out in the garage and finding a puddle of antifreeze in my thermostat housing, and a big puddle in the valley of the airgap manifold. Manifold is new, thermostat and housing are new, put it together with permatex ultra gray.

I think its seeping up around the threads of the bolts, but cant remember from when I put it together. Do the bolt holes go clear through into the water jacket? Anybody have one on the bench they could look at?

View attachment 1715230470
Mine do not go through.
Run a file over the housing when you get it off and make sure its flat and don't over tighten it.

The only way I've ever gotten them to not leak was by replacing the housing with a billet aluminum one that seals with an o-ring. All the steel ones, like yours, and the die cast "chrome" ones totally suck.

I had that problem with the cast housing, went to the speed shop and looked at Mr. Gasket housing and gasket surface looked machined flat, installed it and no more leaks. The billet are good but pricey compared to the Mr. Gasket, which I think was less than $20.00.

i just used a factory style thick aluminum one on my Air Gap and it isn't leaking (yet) and am kind of surprised ......................

Over the years it may be that several mechanics have filed the housing, and the stat recess is no longer deep enough. Resist the urge to double up on the gasket; restore the depth to receive the stat.
I usually install studs in my aluminum intakes. On the top I install those special washers that Mopar used to retain the slanty exhaust manifolds.
I have noticed that my aluminum stat housings warp over the years, so I file them with a bit of a crown between the mounting holes. And that means I get to deepen the stat recess, again

The only way I've ever gotten them to not leak was by replacing the housing with a billet aluminum one that seals with an o-ring. All the steel ones, like yours, and the die cast "chrome" ones totally suck.
I fought the same problem for a few years. I finally bought the Billet Specialties billet T Stat housing (about $65) with an O ring. It has never leaked.

This is what I'm running.

Mine is clear coated aluminum, but you can get them in different colors. Red, blue, aluminum, black. I think I paid around $80, but it was worth it.

CVR Thermostat Housings

cvr_waterneck.jpg

Any chance the hose itself is leaking down onto the housing?
Looks like a Magnum Air Gap manifold and housing. I don't see too many of those leaking but the Chinese made hose clamps often let a little coolant slip by right under the worm gear screw.
Also, looks like you have crankshaft sensor bolts holding the housing. Maybe see if those are too long and bottoming out.

Just installed a new air gap using the stock cast housing. Orange Permatex on both sides of the supplied fel-pro gasket, no leaks.

I had an issue on my plow truck
On the stock intake there was a recess cast in for the thermostat to sit in
Whenever we installed the edelbrock intake, that recess was missing, making it impossible for the housing to seal since it would teetertotter on the thermostat

Just something to look for

Any chance the hose itself is leaking down onto the housing?
Looks like a Magnum Air Gap manifold and housing. I don't see too many of those leaking but the Chinese made hose clamps often let a little coolant slip by right under the worm gear screw.
Also, looks like you have crankshaft sensor bolts holding the housing. Maybe see if those are too long and bottoming out.

Bobzilla, It's been doing this for a few months, I have checked it several times and I cant see or feel any antifreeze leaking down from the hose connection. The bolts are definitely not too long, checked that before I put it together the first time.

AJ/FormS, both the manifold and the thermostat housing are brand new, so nobody has filed the housing, and this manifold does have a recess for the thermostat.

Thinking I might check into one with the o-ring, but haven't checked yet to see if they make one that's tall like the original magnum one.

IMG_20170527_121049550.jpg

Update: So after getting the housing back off, and getting all the old silicone and gasket off.
I tried just sitting the housing on the manifold, and it rocks back and forth from side to side. This housing
has a little raised ring on the surface, which apparently wasn't very flat.
Laid it on a sheet of 400grit wet sand paper and after sanding and a few test fits, it now sits perfectly flat
on the manifold.
So grabbed a new gasket and some permetex ultra gray, I put it back together , finger tight, and waiting an hour like it says
before torquing it down.
I'm going to let it dry 24 hours before refilling with antifreeze, and we'll see what happens.

IMG_2161.JPG

oh ha, it wasn't the bolts that were leaking, it was the two little channels by the bolt holes. hope you put plenty of rtv right there...

What a stupid way to make that housing. Guaranteed to leak. Put something different on there. Anything but that.

What a stupid way to make that housing. Guaranteed to leak. Put something different on there. Anything but that.

Does seem weird that they would leave gaps in that raised ring. Anyway it’s back on there now, I’ll go ahead and try it for a while and keep an eye on it. First sign of a leak after this and I’ll order one with the o-ring. Or maybe I’ll just go ahead and order it so I have it on hand.

I’ve never had an issue with the OE magnum housing leaking. I bought a new housing from the parts store when I installed my edelbrock intake, it hasn’t leaked either. New ones are pretty cheap and should be readily available at your parts store.

The stamped steel housings are junk. I've had great luck with simply using cast ALUMINUM parts-store replacements; make sure they're flat, put some gray RTV on both sides of the paper gasket, lightly snug it down, then come back in a couple hours and tighten the bolts fully. Worked like a charm on multiple Edelbrock SBM intakes I've used; get it once and never worry about it again.

AJ/FormS, both the manifold and the thermostat housing are brand new, so nobody has filed the housing

i think you will find that more then a few of us will take a thermostat housing out of the box, inspect it, and then decide to file it
and after seeing the picture of the housing i think most of us would have stuck it right back in the box and said "nope"
BUT the rest of us would have filed the snot out of it to make sure it was flat before installing it the first time

and lets be honest, thats how you're going to treat the next one, isnt it?

i think you will find that more then a few of us will take a thermostat housing out of the box, inspect it, and then decide to file it
and after seeing the picture of the housing i think most of us would have stuck it right back in the box and said "nope"
BUT the rest of us would have filed the snot out of it to make sure it was flat before installing it the first time

and lets be honest, thats how you're going to treat the next one, isnt it?

Your probably right, or like I say, i'll just buy the one that uses an 0-ring

-
Back