Question about my non original slant six

-

dustyaman

Reaction score
I have a 1975 dodge dart with a slant 6. Yesterday I checked the cast numbers and they came up as a 1968-70 cast slant 6. Now my question is since in 1975 the slant 6 went down 90 hp and the 68-70 the slant was rated 145 hp is there anything different between the blocks or is it all smog equipment that drug the hp down? Im stoked about the 68-70 block. Even though im saving up for a v8 lol. The slant has a external fuel pump that makes it easy to start up and it runs pretty dang smooth. Thank you

engine vin.png

I think most of the difference is HP at the crank vs HP at the rear wheels.

The difference was 'gross' compared to 'net' as abodyjoe said, but had nothing to do with crank horsepower vs. at the rear wheels.
The 'gross' hp was at the crank without any accessories (alternator, power steering, ac, etc.); the 'net' was with all of the accessories.

Looks like there's an allen wrench down in the motor mount underneath all the seeds and rat turds.

Looks like there's an allen wrench down in the motor mount underneath all the seeds and rat turds.
lol. thanks for pointing it out. I haven't had time to clean the engine compartment up after I bought it 2 weeks ago. and thank all of you for the feedback.

I have a 1975 dodge dart with a slant 6. Yesterday I checked the cast numbers and they came up as a 1968-70 cast slant 6.

Not quite. 2806830 is the casting number for a '68-'76 forged-crank RG block.

Now my question is since in 1975 the slant 6 went down 90 hp and the 68-70 the slant was rated 145 hp is there anything different between the blocks

No difference in the blocks.

or is it all smog equipment that drug the hp down?

That's part of it. It's more complex than just that, or just a change in the rating system. See here.

The slant has a external fuel pump that makes it easy to start up

Er-ruh…whut? Does not compute.

What is the engine ID number (stamped on the block deck surface, below the front spark plug, just inboard of the base of the alternator/coil bracket...you may have to clean away some grease to read it)?

How bout a pic of the whole thing. If its a peanut head it is likely original to the car.

All '75-up Slant-6s were originally equipped with cylinder heads that take the small taper-seat "peanut" spark plugs. If the engine in this car has such a head, it means it's a '75-up head, not necessarily that it's the head that originally came in this car.

Sorry guys for the late response. I've been working a butt load of hours. I will look at the stamp number tonight to see if it's the original. Thank you guys for all the responses.

-
Back