Question about oil priming

-

Brent Nixon

Reaction score
Hello all;
Helping a friend with his weekend racer ('76 Duster 512" stroker bracket car, nothing fancy) I am in the process of repairing a valve train issue and in the re-assembly process. I was priming the oil system with a drill and having a helper turn the crank while I was operating the drill (counter clockwise obvs). I had a nice 80 PSI during most of the engine rotation but I noticed that there was oil leaking around the lifters on the #4,#6, only when they are in the lowest position in the bore. I am sure when the engine is running this is a very small duration of oil pressure loss just wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing. Thanks, Brent Nixon

Hello all;
Helping a friend with his weekend racer ('76 Duster 512" stroker bracket car, nothing fancy) I am in the process of repairing a valve train issue and in the re-assembly process. I was priming the oil system with a drill and having a helper turn the crank while I was operating the drill (counter clockwise obvs). I had a nice 80 PSI during most of the engine rotation but I noticed that there was oil leaking around the lifters on the #4,#6, only when they are in the lowest position in the bore. I am sure when the engine is running this is a very small duration of oil pressure loss just wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing. Thanks, Brent Nixon
Solid lifters, roller rockers

Hello all;
The duration times RPM means very little becomes a lot. You might want to change lifters to solid body with no oil band..which is impossible with a hydraulic ..so here is where you buy a couple different lifters based on their pictures to find one taller and with the oil band ..lower perhaps

Reground cam? Solid flat tappet, or solid roller?
Either way, I would change to a no-oilband lifter.
I use a crower solid body solid roller lifter. Pretty sure comp makes one too.

My son does a lot of 50 year old engine blocks. You would not believe how bad some of the lifter bores are worn . Truing and rebushing the lifter boers is a must on many blocks.

Here is a video that shows a very bad one. Note the process they use is not truing the bore it is only resizing it. BHJ fixture trues the bore second video.

Last edited:
-
Back