Question - about painting the garage exterior

-

Joeychgo

FABO Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I would ask..... I figured someone here would know...

When is it best to paint the exterior of a building?

The paint I have now is somewhere around 10 - 12 years old. Its not showing any signs of peeling or anything. But I'm trying to be proactive.

The siding on the house and garage is Fiber cement. Its currently white. I might change color to a beige.

Is it better to paint before peeling starts or does it not matter?

:coffee2:

I thought I would ask..... I figured someone here would know...

When is it best to paint the exterior of a building?

The paint I have now is somewhere around 10 - 12 years old. Its not showing any signs of peeling or anything. But I'm trying to be proactive.

The siding on the house and garage is Fiber cement. Its currently white. I might change color to a beige.

Is it better to paint before peeling starts or does it not matter?

:coffee2:

If it peels, the new paint will come off with the old paint, so that should not be part of your decision criteria. New paint will not prevent old paint from peeling. How good was the original paint? Some of the best paints out on the market are guaranteed for 25 years and they look very nice for most of them. I painted my aluminum siding 27 years ago with 25 year paint and though some portions are chalky, none of it has peeled. I am planning on painting again later this year to make it look better (and get that semi-gloss sheen again).

I say repaint it when you don't like the way it looks.

I don't know as I am not the one who painted it. But like I said, its 10-12 years old or so and looks fine.

And this is why my garage is vinyl siding on it. I use a pressure washer on it once every 5 years or so. I'm not painting that big *** thing!

If you paint now you will be ahead of the game. Once you have loose, flaking, peeling paint, there is much more prep work to be done. Don't put it off if you have the option! I've painted lots of houses, I used to do it as a trade back in the 80's.

Yeah Joey, paint it now BEFORE it peels, as when it peels you then have a LOT of work, AND clean up to do BEFORE you put one ounce on to cover it....

Catch it, BEFORE the work needed piles up to become, overwhelming.

Maybe wash it to get all the dirt off, then paint when its not real hot and the humidity isn't too bad.

Keep it out of extreme heat ( dont do it when its 93 and sunny!) and also check the forecast for the evening. A cloudy day is best as the vehicle evaporates too fast on a hot day. If dew is expected that can compromise the paint job. I have vinyl sided houses I sprayed in the late 90s that still look new. Powerwash first (with TSP or equivalent if needed). If you have any chalkiness at all use Emulsabond or equivalent in your paint. Are you rolling or spraying?

Keep it out of extreme heat ( dont do it when its 93 and sunny!) and also check the forecast for the evening. A cloudy day is best as the vehicle evaporates too fast on a hot day. If dew is expected that can compromise the paint job. I have vinyl sided houses I sprayed in the late 90s that still look new. Powerwash first (with TSP or equivalent if needed). If you have any chalkiness at all use Emulsabond or equivalent in your paint. Are you rolling or spraying?

I would have it sprayed probably...

-
Back