Question about superstock springs

-

dart_68

Reaction score
I've got a question about superstock springs that I hope y'all can shed some light on.

I'm building a Duster to drag race but I'll be driving it to the track. When I bought the car a new pair of 3200# SS springs were included.

My question is should I put the SS springs on? Here are the current specs for my Duster.

1973 Duster
1990 stock 360
Edelbrock Performer intake w/780 thermoquad
1 5/8" full length headers w/2.5" exhaust
904 with 2200 stall converter and stock valve body with shift kit.

I hope that's enough info and that my question is not too vague.

Thanks!

No. Buy a set of 9-10 position adjustable shock for all 4 corners. I have Rancho RS9000 on the rear and Strange engineering on the front. I have Afco leaf springs on the rear of my car, great leaf spring.

I have a street setting for driving and a track setting for the shocks. Multiple adjustments are the way to go

What gear is in the car?

Why not run them? SuperStock springs were literally designed to hook at the track. If this is primarily a drag car, you might as well run the springs Mopar designed for drag racing.

They’re not the best spring for the street (stiff) or handling performance (too stiff and too high for ride height), but it doesn’t sound like the car will see much of either.

I've got a question about superstock springs that I hope y'all can shed some light on.

I'm building a Duster to drag race but I'll be driving it to the track. When I bought the car a new pair of 3200# SS springs were included.

My question is should I put the SS springs on? Here are the current specs for my Duster.

1973 Duster
1990 stock 360
Edelbrock Performer intake w/780 thermoquad
1 5/8" full length headers w/2.5" exhaust
904 with 2200 stall converter and stock valve body with shift kit.

I hope that's enough info and that my question is not too vague.

Thanks!

Doooo iiiiit ! right performance springs for that body.

I would install them since you have them anyway.
I put a set of 002 and 003 ones on my car (a '74 Dart Sport) and really like them.
You have to get longer shocks and a brake hose from a truck for between the body and rear diff as well.
Forget about handling on the street with them and they lift the rear of the car about 2'' on the driver's side and about 3'' on the passenger's side.
They don't ride as harsh on the street as some people say.
Remember, they are a factory engineered add on traction aid designed for what you intend to do with your car.
That says something right there...............

IMO....the factory engineering is pretty simple....not rocket surgery.

a) extra leaves to prevent wheel hop
b) increased arch to allow big slicks to clear the fender wells. Designed in the late 60's before tubbing the rear wheel wells for big slicks was discovered.
c) here is the biggie.....two different arches / spring rates keeping the car straight on launch due to chassis torque from high HP / RPM launches.

If you are not running big slicks and big HP.....nothing above will be a benefit except the extra leaves. Just get a set of HD (6 leaves) springs and your street car even sit (somewhat) level.

if you want a additional arch for a larger tire....Summit sells the Mopar Performance (real deal) Super Stock springs individually...just buy 2 of the same side and the car stays level. They are cheap @ $129 each delivered. As stated above...2 drivers side will raise the car about 2"...2 passenger side will raise it about 3". I prefer the softer 2800 lb springs on a street car for a softer ride.

Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs P4120863

JMHO...yours may vary.

Last edited:
I have no issues with my 002 /003 ss springs and Rancho 9 way shocks
They ride better then any modern vehicle I have been in.
I do have big 325 50 15 tires on the back.

The rear end does kick out when in the twisties but I have to be on it hard. Same with any other vehicle. Unless it has sissy control. (Traction control)
If you drive sanely then no issues I can find.

Launching for some street fun they HOOK HARD.

I agree on running them. Here's one reason. On the street, even with a stock engine, you will have wheel spin in that car. You think you have wheel spin on the street? Wait till you get it on the track. You will be wishing those SS springs were there.

what rear? didnt see that mentioned.
gear too...makes a difference.
wouldnt bother on a 7.25 rear, or too highway of a gear.
unless you just want the look.

put em on my Demon. So far im diggin them.
4.10 gear 8.75 360 727
275 60 15 Mickeys and 205 65 15 front.
Drives good, sets nice, feels solid.

100_1630.jpg

-
Back