Question Concerning Rear Turn Signals and Brake Lights

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question or two for the electrical gurus on the forum - take a look at the turn signal wiring diagram from a Mirada. A friend and I were discussing separating the rear turn signals from the brake circuit so that they would function independently from the brake circuit. So how could this be accomplished based on the wiring diagram, allowing the emergency flasher and turn signal lever to operate only the turn signals and the brake lights functioning only as brake brake lights?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 108
I don't know why on earth you would want to do that. I BELIEVE you can get (such as Valley) towing converters that are a "black box" you hook up to change from one to the other

Otherwise you would have to figure out how to have separate bulb filaments for the stop lamps, and then simply disconnect the brake switch wire from the TS switch and extend it to the rear and then hook it up to your added stop lamps

You know, these, mounted up on top of the trunk 'er somewheres

1950-60%20Universal%20Chrome%20Stop%20Lamps%201.JPG

On a side note there is no possible way to read your diagram. It's way way too small.

I don't know why on earth you would want to do that. I BELIEVE you can get (such as Valley) towing converters that are a "black box" you hook up to change from one to the other

Otherwise you would have to figure out how to have separate bulb filaments for the stop lamps, and then simply disconnect the brake switch wire from the TS switch and extend it to the rear and then hook it up to your added stop lamps

You know, these, mounted up on top of the trunk 'er somewheres

1950-60%20Universal%20Chrome%20Stop%20Lamps%201.JPG

Bwa ha ha ha ha. :D
Or maybe up on the rear deck in the back window?

If he has four lenses in the bumper like say a 72 Dart has he could swap the backup lights lenses for regular brake/tail lenses and use those as separate brake lights.

I sort of did that with my car, but just added brake lights and turn signals where the old backup lenses were.
On a stop all four lenses light as brake lights, a turn signal flashes two on either side and tail lights are still just the outer two. (doubled the brake and turn lighting) but all I had to do was swap out a couple of lenses and a slight rewire in the trunk at the connectors.

When I rewired the blue car, I used the reverse lights as my turn signals with amber bulbs. it really simplified it as far as I was concerned. Cause I didn't use a kit, I wired it from scratch with spools of wire and a terminal supply catalogue. So I was literally starting from scratch. But I didn't have a factory ignition switch or turn switch. There's my reasoning. Lol. Eric L

Simple? I don't know why you think that......you have to add more bulbs and lenses, and move the wire from the stop lights into the turn signals. If you ever want to pull a trailer MOST trailers ---at least here in the states---are set up for the original style integrated stop / tail.

Anyhow, if you really want to do that, moving the stop light wire is what you do.

Simple because I wasn't using a factory turn switch for distribution of power. I used a toggle and a flasher. And the housing and bulb were already there anyways. Just giving my reasoning. Eric L

Simple because I wasn't using a factory turn switch for distribution of power. I used a toggle and a flasher. And the housing and bulb were already there anyways. Just giving my reasoning. Eric L

Actually yellow signals are known to be more noticeable and therefore safer according to most safety standards around the world.

They are extremely attention grabbing, and freak out Chrysler guys following you, lol. I dig it. Eric L

Simple because I wasn't using a factory turn switch for distribution of power. I used a toggle and a flasher.

OK that makes more sense.

I had a couple of the old Ferd Couriers. These were one of the early rigs that had a "whole pile" of junk switched by a multi-use column switch. As I recall there were a couple of big noisy relays involved in the turn signals LOL

Yeah, I kinda figured we had a communication break down, lol.

With a simple toggle and flasher, I just ran it separate. So now I have 3 filaments, (an 1157 and an 1156) doing 3 functions.

The only, ONLY original wires in the car are the pink and yellow dome light wires. And I make my own fuse and relay box out of pieces from a late 90s caddy deville. It was a project. Eric L

-
Back