Question for you guys with Indy heads....

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I have the Indy 245 CNC heads with the rectangle ports. What I'd like to know, before I drop the money on the intake (which I'd like to do asap), is if I can take a standard oval port W2 intake and gasket match/open up the ports to match the rectangle ports on the Indy heads? I'm not afraid to do some grinding, but I'm a little afraid there may not be enough metal to do so. Its a Strip Dominator intake. I know the Indy intake is probably a better performer, but its really tall and I don't want it poking through my hood. Any suggestions? Hurry! lol

I have the Indy 245 CNC heads with the rectangle ports. What I'd like to know, before I drop the money on the intake (which I'd like to do asap), is if I can take a standard oval port W2 intake and gasket match/open up the ports to match the rectangle ports on the Indy heads? I'm not afraid to do some grinding, but I'm a little afraid there may not be enough metal to do so. Its a Strip Dominator intake. I know the Indy intake is probably a better performer, but its really tall and I don't want it poking through my hood. Any suggestions? Hurry! lol

Nope not enough material. You can weld up the outside of the intake runners and the remachine the flange and then you can port to the opening.
Or we can sell you one port matched and take as much as 1.250 off the carb flange. Just have to drill the holes deeper and tap them deeper.
It would be about 650.00 to do everything, or 500.00 for the manifold plus chopping the carb pad down.

Another thing....if you use that holley intake, you'll lose any taper in the intake, and can possibly even make a reverse taper intake runner because I don't think there's enough room in the plenum to enlarge the runner entrance to keep up with the port csa at the flange when port matched to the indy rect. port.
Brian

Thanks Brian! Thats exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the advise! I think that as soon as I can get some more money up, I will give you a call. $650 doesnt sound too bad for all the work that is done. I think--but I'm not sure--with that much taken off of the carb pad, it would fit under my hood. I got a pretty good deal on the Indy heads, thats why I went with them, and I'm learning more and more about them every day. Hoping they aren't going to be too much for my engine, but I guess I'll find out. Hopefully soon!

Not to take away from Brain, but Indy has a rectangle port head as well. IDk about the port size at the opening. 1 X 2? IDK.

Thats what mine are, the rectangle port. I should measure them, by looking at them I'd say they are huge x huge lol. From what I've read, with the CNC porting, they are even bigger than the standard Indy rectangle port. Thats another reason why I wasn't too sure I could match a w2 intake up to them, thats alot of metal I'd have to remove. I'm gonna check out the Indy website just out of curiosity to see if they have the port size listed with the gaskets. I do think I'll just go with the indy intake tho. Gotta get rid of all these extra small block parts now! Thanks rumblefish!

-
Back