question on 4 speed removal

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
when my clutch was done the transmission case was cleaned up and looks like new- anyway they say it lost some fluid in the process and they topped it up. They said they did not open it up. Can this happen if you don't intentionally drain it or open up the case? It does not leak. What am I missing here? '71 A833

Some fluid may have leaked out when the driveshaft was removed and trans tilted to remove it.

Drive shaft!
Yes, when they removed the drive shaft and took the tranny out it's common to lose a little bit of oil out of the tail shaft where the yoke goes in.
It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to change the oil when it was out unless it was just recently changed.........

OK thanks - so this is normal? just hoping there were no leaks I am not aware of - so came out the back if I understand correctly. Had some sta-lub GL4 in there I wanted but I can drain/fill over winter.

OK thanks - so this is normal? just hoping there were no leaks I am not aware of - so came out the back if I understand correctly. Had some sta-lub GL4 in there I wanted but I can drain/fill over winter.
Yes, this is normal.
Good choice on sticking with a GL-4 oil, my tranny has Pennzoil Syncromesh GL-4 in it and it works well for me.
It is a stock '71 A-Body 833 as well.

-
Back