Question on color shade of instrument cluster pieces

-

Thomas Dennis

Reaction score
It seems that the metal part of the instrument cluster is a shade of robin egg blue. Is that correct. Also the metal frame pieces are they supposed to be flat black?

001.JPG

003.JPG

The blue part of the cluster doesn't show, it is just the typical coating they used. The gauge surrounds is closer to satin on most.

The metal cluster housing has rust on it. So I figured since it is apart I would detail it up. I will pick up some satin black. Either it's the OCD or AR that causes me to detail something when it's apart. Do you know who sells the clear lenses?

Earlier inst' housing were flat white inside. Their yellowish incandescent bulbs were totally encased in a blue tint diffuser to create a coke bottle green lighting. Where this changed to a flat piece of blue film in front of the bulbs they changed the housing interior to flat blue creating the same appearance. Many of todays owners like to change to LED bulbs and dump the blue tint to get a more modern brighter whiter lighting.
All gauge screens, etc.., ( including aftermarket ) are flat black or white. Light bounces around. Gloss causes glares.

Earlier inst' housing were flat white inside. Their yellowish incandescent bulbs were totally encased in a blue tint diffuser to create a coke bottle green lighting. Where this changed to a flat piece of blue film in front of the bulbs they changed the housing interior to flat blue creating the same appearance. Many of todays owners like to change to LED bulbs and dump the blue tint to get a more modern brighter whiter lighting.
All gauge screens, etc.., ( including aftermarket ) are flat black or white. Light bounces around. Gloss causes glares.

Exactly.
I painted my cluster backing metal gloss white and used an LED strip for the backlighting.
Also replaced the speedo lens with lexan.
The original lens has a concave curve to it, but with a little moto tooling of the face plastic a flat panel of the lexan worked nicely.

dash.jpg

I'm keeping the stock style gauges I will get some flat blue and flat black. Performance Graphics has the gauge lettering. I will re letter them also

-
Back