question on top motor

-

Dennis Gerard

Reaction score
I've pickup 2 motors both like new one from a 89 sebring and one from 2001 mustang, both work the top when I hook power to one wire and ground the other or reverse it and toip goes down.

Problem is and maybe you know is when hooked up to switch there no ground on motor has anyone else over come this...

Junk yard motor $23.00 vs new mopar $220

I'm cheap

One wire is hot the other is ground. The difference is which way the current flows. You must have the right type of switch to make this happen. When that switch is centered both wires are probably neutral, neither hot or ground. switch position provides a path to chassis ground via 3rd wire from the switch to ground or maybe even a metal body switch is chassis grounded at its mounting.
A chassis ground to the motors exterior case isn't required although there probably is a chassis ground path through the motors mounting hardware.

Last edited:
One wire is hot the other is ground. The difference is which way the current flows. You must have the right type of switch to make this happen. When that switch is centered both wires are probably neutral, neither hot or ground. switch position provides a path to chassis ground via 3 wire from the switch to ground or maybe even a metal body switch is chassis grounded at its mounting.
A chassis ground to the motors exterior case isn't required although there probably is a chassis ground path through the motors mounting hardware.

-
Back