Question on turn signals

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
both my turn signals work( 69 Dart) has column shift steering column.
However the left one, if you bump it just a tiny bit the turn signal lamp acts spazzy( barely on, etc) but if you hold it in the center all is good, if you pull it down to make a turn all is good.
Just seems loose/ sloppy in the middle and with big camshaft and radical idle it sometimes is so sensitive it as i said above acts like its between the on/ off position
What needs replaced?

What needs replaced?

My guess would be the turn signal cam. It could be just gunked up with dust and dirt or it might need replacing.

I had issues with mine and I swapped it out twice with these new TS cams that you can purchase and both of them didn't want to work properly.

I ended up buying an used OEM piece, cleaned it well and installed it.

No more issues.

I agree that it seems likes the little contacts in the switch are bad/ loose/ dirty. These switches are getting old, and while the reproduction stuff is of questionable quality, considering the work involved I would replace the switch.

I had one acting similar in a '70 Dart, so I bought a replacement switch.

When I pulled the steering wheel to replace the old one, I noticed that the screw holding the original switch in place had backed out.

I tightened it up & it worked perfect after that.

I had one acting similar in a '70 Dart, so I bought a replacement switch.

When I pulled the steering wheel to replace the old one, I noticed that the screw holding the original switch in place had backed out.

I tightened it up & it worked perfect after that.

When you say switch, you mean the turn signal cam, right?

No such thing as a turn signal "cam". We are talking switch, as in there are wires and points of contact. The switch has "arms" for cancelling the function. The wires for the switch run through the column and exit the column near the floor. Yes, the lever could just be loose, a simple fix.

No such thing as a turn signal "cam". We are talking switch, as in there are wires and points of contact. The switch has "arms" for cancelling the function. The wires for the switch run through the column and exit the column near the floor. Yes, the lever could just be loose, a simple fix.

Funny. When i go to Year One, the part i think i need is called a turn signal cam. Plastic, two wires hooked to it, costs 14.99 from them

Maybe the cam will work for you, but I bought the cam part from oreilly & it didn’t fix it. The cam is just a small part of the switch. Big waste of time for me. At least I bought it local so I could return it. I bought the whole switch assembly from year one. About 45$ Online, cheaper with discount. The part was good quality. Classic wanted $100+ for the same thing.

Maybe the cam will work for you, but I bought the cam part from oreilly & it didn’t fix it. The cam is just a small part of the switch. Big waste of time for me.

Yup, replacing the cancelling cam fixed it for about 30 seconds for me, lol. That's why I found a whole TS switch and replaced the whole unit.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, there is no such part- this is a made up part, no such part used to exist. Why would anyone want to replace 1/2 of a switch? The chinese have us running in circles. Replace the WHOLE switch.

Like Bad Sport said, if you are going though the process of disassembly, why not replace the 40 plus year old part. I wouldn't go with the chineseium auto parts store version, I would get it from fellow member, and lighting expert slant six dan. see here .Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

-
Back