Question Torqueflite A904

-

Michel

Reaction score
Hi friends

I have a question about my torqueflite a904 !!
is it normal in the deceleration, when relief the throttle in some moments jumps to the third gear ??

Thanks

Hi friends

I have a question about my torqueflite a904 !!
is it normal in the deceleration, when relief the throttle in some moments jumps to the third gear ??

Thanks
Yes, if you mean say down a hill or when you have the kick down rod pushed back enough.
You may want to adjust it, it could be a little tight as in holds the kickdown lever too far back at part throttle so that at cruise you almost have to let off a bit to get it to up shift to 3rd

a little hard to interpret your question. But if I read it correctly, yes you can trigger an upshift by slightly letting up on the throttle. IIRC, that is a symptom of incorrect throttle pressure setting. I believe you need to need to adjust kickdown linkage. I believe Trailbeast is one of the resident authorities on trannys, no double ontonder(sp?) intended, hahaha.

Yes, if you mean say down a hill or when you have the kick down rod pushed back enough.
You may want to adjust it, it could be a little tight as in holds the kickdown lever too far back at part throttle so that at cruise you almost have to let off a bit to get it to up shift to 3rd

Thank you Sorry. I am from Brazil and I do not know how to explain in English.
my trans was completely rebuilt, I set the kick down, but I noticed that in full acceleration in some moments the third gear when I release the accelerator ... is it normal to enter the third or not ??
would not it have to stay in gear in the 2nd?

If we understand the question correctly, then the posts are correct. If you are accelerating rather quickly and then back off the accelerator, the transmission will quickly shift to third gear.

If we understand the question correctly, then the posts are correct. If you are accelerating rather quickly and then back off the accelerator, the transmission will quickly shift to third gear.

exactly what is occurring (" If you are accelerating rather quickly and then back off the accelerator, the transmission will quickly shift to third gear ") ..
it's normal?? What is the explanation for this happening?

exactly what is occurring (" If you are accelerating rather quickly and then back off the accelerator, the transmission will quickly shift to third gear ") ..
it's normal?? What is the explanation for this happening?

Completely normal under the circumstances.
What happens is the trans pressure is higher with more throttle and when you start backing off the throttle the pressure goes lower and it shifts.
Sometimes with quite a driveline ringing slam.:D

Completely normal.

Completely normal under the circumstances.
What happens is the trans pressure is higher with more throttle and when you start backing off the throttle the pressure goes lower and it shifts.
Sometimes with quite a driveline ringing slam.:D

Completely normal.

what happens is that in many situations on flat / straight roads in full throttle I relieve the throttle before engaging the third gear and instead of continuing in 2rd, it jumps to 3rd !!
I have little experience with automatic transmission and I was doubtful if it is normal, or adjustment is needed or there is a problem

what happens is that in many situations on flat / straight roads in full throttle I relieve the throttle before engaging the third gear and instead of continuing in 2rd, it jumps to 3rd !!
I have little experience with automatic transmission and I was doubtful if it is normal, or adjustment is needed or there is a problem

I just told you.:D
You can adjust the throttle pressure all you want and it's still going to do that, just at different throttle openings and different road speeds.
It's not a manual trans, so if you want it to stay in second without upshifting then you have to keep it manual second until you want third.
Or maybe get a full manual valve body, as those will be in the gear you have selected at any speed or RPM until you manually change it yourself.

In decades of professional transmission building you would be shocked at how many times I have heard that complaint.
99% of them with older transmissions like 904, 727, C4, C6 and some of the others.

Last edited:
I just told you.:D
You can adjust the throttle pressure all you want and it's still going to do that, just at different throttle openings and different road speeds.
It's not a manual trans, so if you want it to stay in second without upshifting then you have to keep it manual second until you want third.
Or maybe get a full manual valve body, as those will be in the gear you have selected at any speed or RPM until you manually change it yourself.

Thanks Friend !!

Thanks Friend !!

No problem, now drive that thing and enjoy it.:D

And remember, if you don't want it to go into third keep it in 2 until you are ready, but it'll still slam 3rd with high RPM's and lighter throttle.
It's just how they are.
I can even get that with my A500 OD trans as it's really not any different than the 904 in that respect.

-
Back