Questions on body work

-

dartcuda

Mopar Or No Car
Reaction score
I am starting to do some of the body work on my 66 Dart. a Long time in waiting for sure. Been in primmer for 5 years now. I am going to use a itching primmer I got from Napa. Now I am understanding I can do body work over it after it is applied. Is this true. Plus on my hood around the scoop there is bondo. Will that all need to be removed first, or can I just spray right over it and then apply the fiberglass.

Also what is the best thing to do when molding in a abs hood scoop. It is installed from the bottom side as I was having problems with it wanting to crack in the corners when installed just on the top and then fiberglassed to make it look like part of the hood.

If the car or any sheet metal parts have been in "Regular" Primer for 5 years, you'll probably need to sand back down to sheet metal as "regular" primer is porous and will let moisture get to the steel aka rust under paint. IMO I would strip/sand it all down to bare steel, apply an epoxy primer. Etching Primer is ok, you can do bodywork over it. Then regular primer over that.
I like the Epoxy Primer because it makes a non-porous "shield" over the parts and can be tinted close to your final color making for less coats saving paint n $$$

Eric_S68 said:
If the car or any sheet metal parts have been in "Regular" Primer for 5 years, you'll probably need to sand back down to sheet metal as "regular" primer is porous and will let moisture get to the steel aka rust under paint. IMO I would strip/sand it all down to bare steel, apply an epoxy primer. Etching Primer is ok, you can do bodywork over it. Then regular primer over that.
I like the Epoxy Primer because it makes a non-porous "shield" over the parts and can be tinted close to your final color making for less coats saving paint n $$$

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Better safe than sorry, you don't want to do all the work only to find out that there was some moisture trapped under all the old stuff that creeps it's way up to your new paint job. I have done that in the past thinking that it would be ok :sad:

Yes I do plan on taking it back to bare metel again. And when I did it 5 years ago it was done in a epoxy primmer. There is a few spots showing some rust, but not that bad. I too have done it with regular primmer and I know what you mean about it ruining a new paint job. Not a good thing for sure. thanks for the advice.

dartcuda said:
Yes I do plan on taking it back to bare metel again. And when I did it 5 years ago it was done in a epoxy primmer. There is a few spots showing some rust, but not that bad. I too have done it with regular primmer and I know what you mean about it ruining a new paint job. Not a good thing for sure. thanks for the advice.

If it was done in epoxy primer just fix what ya see and scuff the rest down, it "should be good" to go . :thumbup:

-
Back