Questions on Dr. Diff 13" Cobra Style front brake setup

-

MurkOff

Reaction score
I just ordered Dr. Diff's 13 inch front brake setup for my 1967 Dart. Everything looks pretty top notch just like with his rear disc conversion. I had some questions regarding fitment:

The upper bolt that holds the caliper to the caliper bracket is going to hit the part of the spindle that accepts the upper ball joint. Is this normal or am I not setting something up right?

Also, How long after receiving your front brake kits did the rotors show up?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 565
  • image2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 564
  • image3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 514
  • image4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 518
  • image5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 517
The upper bolt that holds the caliper to the caliper bracket is going to hit the part of the spindle that accepts the upper ball joint. Is this normal or am I not setting something up right?

Hmm. What spindles are those?

I run the same exact kit on my Duster, but I have the calipers mounted toward the rear. Not that it should matter because it stays in the same place on the spindles, just swapped side for side. No clearance issues on the spindle, but I'm also using the '73+ FMJ spindles, not 73+ A-body. The difference is very slight, but there are some differences.

Does it actually hit when you turn the wheel to lock, or does it just look like it will? It's a tight fit, but mine clears.

Also, How long after receiving your front brake kits did the rotors show up?

Less than a week for mine, they just come from another manufacturer. The rotors are Corvette C4 pieces, they have to be set up with the 5x4.5" pattern.

if you look at the last picture I attached, it shows the bolt that goes through the adapter bracket, into the caliper. It will hit the spindle if you try to take it out. I can get around it by putting the bolt loosely in the hole,, and then attaching the adapter bracket to the spindle. I will just put the caliper on with the rotor, as one. not sure if that makes sense, or if I have something else not done correctly but that bolt most definitely is hitting the spindle.

I have the A body spindles.

Thanks for your reply, Im looking forward to getting the rotors!

if you look at the last picture I attached, it shows the bolt that goes through the adapter bracket, into the caliper. It will hit the spindle if you try to take it out. I can get around it by putting the bolt loosely in the hole,, and then attaching the adapter bracket to the spindle. I will just put the caliper on with the rotor, as one. not sure if that makes sense, or if I have something else not done correctly but that bolt most definitely is hitting the spindle.

I have the A body spindles.

Thanks for your reply, Im looking forward to getting the rotors!

Well that's embarrassing, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. And yeah, nothing I said actually makes any sense if you think about it for about 2 seconds. Sorry. #-o

The process you're describing is the way to do it. You'll want to stage that bolt in the adaptor bracket, then install the adaptor bracket on the spindle. Then install the hub, followed by the rotor and caliper (with the OE caliper bracket).

That's the easy way to do it anyway. I can't remember if that's the way I actually ended up doing it, or if I managed to somehow sneak that bolt past the spindle. I know I ran into clearance issues with it, but I think I managed to sneak it past at an angle with my spindles. But that's definitely not the easy way.

Looks like it's come up before, BadShrimp clearanced his spindle to do it...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=150097&highlight=diff+disk+brake

Oh, and I remembered that the rotors come out of California, so I got mine almost immediately after they shipped. Cass sent me a tracking number when they went out.

I read that thread too and missed that part! I'm in az and it's going on 8 days no rotors yet. Hopefully they come soon. I got impatient and tried cobra rotors from auto zone, they held the caliper about 3/8 inch from the adaptor bracket mounted on the spindle.

I read that thread too and missed that part! I'm in az and it's going on 8 days no rotors yet. Hopefully they come soon. I got impatient and tried cobra rotors from auto zone, they held the caliper about 3/8 inch from the adaptor bracket mounted on the spindle.

Yeah they're Corvette C4 rotors re-drilled to 5x4.5".

As I remember it was a few days before the rotors even shipped, they're made to order.

Yeah they're Corvette C4 rotors re-drilled to 5x4.5".

As I remember it was a few days before the rotors even shipped, they're made to order.

Are you sure they aren't cobra rotors, they are usually a bolt on. C4 rotors are thicker and usually use a slightly different version of the same caliper.

Are you sure they aren't cobra rotors, they are usually a bolt on. C4 rotors are thicker and usually use a slightly different version of the same caliper.

According to Cass they're C4 rotors. This is from an email he sent me...

The Cobra kit uses a 13 x 1.125" Corvette C-4 front rotor. The Brembo style kit uses a 13 x 1.25" Mercedes front rotor.

Both kits use the same hub, so the wheel register is 2.7".

Both kits increase the track width 3/16" per side compared to '73+ discs.

I recommend disc knuckles, because the caliper brackets are shorter and cleaner.

Thanks,

Cass

But that's all I'm going off of, I suppose I could see if there's a part # on my rotors somewhere.

Slip the caliper mounting bolt through the hole before bolting the bracket to the spindle. Use red loc-tite on the threads.

I supply re-drilled Corvette C-4 rotors because the hats are deeper than the Cobra version. This results in increased (caliper to wheel) clearance.

Recommend you add these sort of instructions with the kit or somewhere on your site. Been banging my head trying to get these installed, just found this thread

-
Back