Questions on interior trim

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a mishmash of interior parts that will need painting to match the rest of the green car. Is there anything special needed paint-wise to change colors on these things? So far, I need to paint all the arm rests and the steering wheel. If this is a special paint, who sells it?

Also, is there a good way to flatten an interior panel? I have the rear seat panels off a 69 2-door Dart, but they are warped somewhat. The vinyl on them is OK if I can flatten them back out. Maybe just let them sit with some weight on them for a while? Get them wet first then press them?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I have a mishmash of interior parts that will need painting to match the rest of the green car. Is there anything special needed paint-wise to change colors on these things? So far, I need to paint all the arm rests and the steering wheel. If this is a special paint, who sells it?

Also, is there a good way to flatten an interior panel? I have the rear seat panels off a 69 2-door Dart, but they are warped somewhat. The vinyl on them is OK if I can flatten them back out. Maybe just let them sit with some weight on them for a while? Get them wet first then press them?

Inquiring minds want to know...
On metal parts, prep the same way you would when painting any metal surface. On plastic, model paint. On vinyl, SEM products work very well.
Prep products are available from different manufactures, just follow directions on the products. Available in aerosol cans or colors can be mixed at
automotive paint stores. If one uses vinyl products and prep directions are followed, changing colors on vinyl will last a long time.

I have had great results on plastic, vinyl & metal with Herb's interior paints - https://www.herbsparts.com/products.asp?cat=826

You can try to flatten your panels, but avoid water first. If you wet them & then cover them with something flat & heavy mold may grow on them in the dark..

Without question it's all in the prep..
Use rubber gloves and keep your oily fingers off of things.. I usually use a tsp or some kind of cleaner that definitely gets every known oil off of it... After that I've used just cheap Bi-Mart vinyl paint...
As far as your plastic pieces I would just put out they wanted ad and get some good ones... After all this is your dream car...
for instance I have a near-perfect dash pad stashed away that I got when the getting was good but I won't put it in until the car is painted... The one that's in there now with some imperfections will do...
maybe like you're doing do what you can with the ones that you have but keep your eyes peeled for good ones.. and pony up the price that they want cuz they're not grown on trees especially if they're really nice...

Use rubber gloves and keep your oily fingers off of things.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that but I agree. I already washed the arm rests, bases, and steering wheel - they will get a light sanding then a wipe-down before painting. I'm lucky, there is a custom paint place near me that will make you a rattle can to match whatever color you bring in. They do good work but they are spendy.

-
Back