Quick and easy question 340 main seal “tabs”

-

nick455440

Reaction score
On the 340 real main seal, the two little tabs, points, nipples, etc.. that stick out of each side of the rear main cap, do u cut them flush with the cap or put the oil pan gasket on top of them, they seem thick and hard enough to cause the oil pan gasket to possibly not lay flat even when tightened, also using a Milidon crush proof oil pan gasket if that changes anything, thanks all

I just used that very gasket. While I have not run this particular engine just yet, leave the tabs on and lay the rail gaskets over it with sealer under and in between all sealing strips. When I tighten down the pan, I use more sealant around the perimeter to help create another barrier. It is easy enough to get at with your fingers and smear and push the sealant in to the nooks and crannies around the crank flange.

62097856-B080-469C-97C0-21606AEAB06F.jpeg
5A196C21-B5AA-41EF-9B46-A6CAC6187E31.jpeg

Cut them off.. dot of rtv in corners, lay rail gaskets down, dot one .ore time with rtv.
You can even cut them off and offset the main seal if you want with a dot at each end of seal halvs.

Last time I cut them off I had to replace rear main seal due to leaking oil. No more leaks after replacing and NOT cutting tabs on a 318la

I leave the tabs but use a little silicone where they meet the gaskets.

Thansk for all the info, ended up leaving them on and putting a decent amount of RTV all around them,

-
Back