Quick home electric question

-
Alright, so my Vodka Cranberries are kicking in.

You recently ran 3/4” PVC up to your deck or something...... (kinking the conduit) so there’s another issue the city inspector will see.......

So I’m guessing that the previous home owners removed and relocated the overhead utility power feed (feeding the 200a panel) as the deck interfered with a safe overhead feed.

Do not call the city inspector.

Alright, so my Vodka Cranberries are kicking in.

You recently ran 3/4” PVC up to your deck or something...... (kinking the conduit) so there’s another issue the city inspector will see.......

So I’m guessing that the previous home owners removed and relocated the overhead utility power feed (feeding the 200a panel) as the deck interfered with a safe overhead feed.

Do not call the city inspector.
Yup, that was me, but it wasn't a deck, it was the underside of a lean too

I talked to the inspector and he sounded like a cool guy
I told him about some of the issues, in fact I started our conversation by telling him "how do we fix this"

This is what I think happened
The 100 amp panel is the original one (it is mounted on what I believe is an original wall)

At some point (1995 I think) they put on an addition, and bud the garage
At that point they installed the 200 amp panel, and the new meter base, Intending to switch over service to tho that panel and for some reason, they never finished it

So, I'm expecting the Inspector to look it over, say "this is what happened, and this is what you need to do"
And then well get it done

As far as the power going into the empty meter base, I solved that by throwing the 200 amp breaker off

Either way, well know soon enough how this plays out

Yup, that was me, but it wasn't a deck, it was the underside of a lean too

I talked to the inspector and he sounded like a cool guy
I told him about some of the issues, in fact I started our conversation by telling him "how do we fix this"

This is what I think happened
The 100 amp panel is the original one (it is mounted on what I believe is an original wall)

At some point (1995 I think) they put on an addition, and bud the garage
At that point they installed the 200 amp panel, and the new meter base, Intending to switch over service to tho that panel and for some reason, they never finished it

So, I'm expecting the Inspector to look it over, say "this is what happened, and this is what you need to do"
And then well get it done

As far as the power going into the empty meter base, I solved that by throwing the 200 amp breaker off

Either way, well know soon enough how this plays out
//////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm thinking an inspector will issue a Stop Work Order.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm thinking an inspector will issue a Stop Work Order.
Well, I hope not, but I want this to be done right
I haven't heard back from him yet, so it must not bother him too much

I did have a guy from the power company come by to quote me a price on changing the meter over
They wanted to go underground and just to get underneath the driveway would be over $1000.00 so I passed on that

He did mention he didnt liks the old meter but if it were up to him he would "grandfather it in"

He also said, and I quote "we dont care what you do after the meter"

So, that's where we stand
I got some running around time on Friday, so I'll hit up city hall ad pull a permit to put a transfer switch in, that should put the whole thing to rest soon enough

quick little update, i had a guy from the power company come by, and he agreed that it looked like they started to move the meter and abandoned the plan
(after he quoted me a price to move the meter, i think i know why)

i also talked to the inspector (over the phone) twice now
he agreed that if i go with plan 2 (see post 42)

i stopped by the city hall this morning to pull a permit, and ripped out the wiring i put in earlier, this evening

i also ordered a "power outlet box" and a plug to turn the "wire" i made into a proper extension cord

giphy.gif

good news...you dont need to make that firecooked jiffy pop

i installed the proper inlet box, ran it into a 30 amp breaker in the main and installed a manual lock out switch

the inspector just signed off on it and all is well and up to code

in case anyone is wondering, we lost power several times yesterday
it flickered a few times around 5 but by 7 i flickered and stayed of

so i ran into town to get some gas and fired up the generator

it powered the house just fine from about 8 thill midnite
i checked my phone and it said the power outage was restored (and sure enough, i had a red light flashing on my electrical meter again)

long story short, it all worked as it should

I didn't see but I thought I should ask, do you have a disconnect to the incoming line when the generator is hooked up? If you don't it's a great way to electrocute a utility lineman by back feeding electricity into the grid.

Open the main

Open the main

the way the interlock works, it will not allow both the main breaker to the house, and the breaker that runs the feed from the generator to be on

so, yes, when im i am running the generator, the main breaker is ALWAYS off, making sure i dont backfeed into the grid
(which is also why i pulled the permit, by doing it by the books, i know everyone is safe and my work was inspected and approved by the electrical inspector)

the way the interlock works, it will not allow both the main breaker to the house, and the breaker that runs the feed from the generator to be on

so, yes, when im i am running the generator, the main breaker is ALWAYS off, making sure i dont backfeed into the grid
(which is also why i pulled the permit, by doing it by the books, i know everyone is safe and my work was inspected and approved by the electrical inspector)

Yep... I understand the interlock, I'm an industrial electrician. Another thing to consider, your homeowners insurance might have tried to void your coverage if something bad happened.

Safety First

Yep... I understand the interlock, I'm an industrial electrician. Another thing to consider, your homeowners insurance might have tried to void your coverage if something bad happened.

Safety First

that's the beauty of doing things by the book...the insurance wouldnt have a leg to stand on, since permits were pulled and the work was signed off on by an inspector

-
Back