Quick question cam retainer bolts 340

-
IMO it doesn't matter. There isn't enough oil coming through that bolt to do anything. Technically, it goes into the hole that breaks through into the lifter valley.

I want more oil on the timing chain. So I drill a small hole in the cam plate where it covers the main oil feed gallery. That puts oil on the timing chain. Since I run a gear drive, I make damn sure there is oil on the gears and that's how I do it.

yes the top hole that goes thru to the lifter valley. I do not know how much oil goes thru there cuz I have never run my 340 with the intake off to see, but I figure if Chrysler took the time to drill thousands of bolts it helps.

IMO it doesn't matter. There isn't enough oil coming through that bolt to do anything. Technically, it goes into the hole that breaks through into the lifter valley.

I want more oil on the timing chain. So I drill a small hole in the cam plate where it covers the main oil feed gallery. That puts oil on the timing chain. Since I run a gear drive, I make damn sure there is oil on the gears and that's how I do it.

Ok, the answer is it goes on the bottom, passenger side of the block. Truth is, most don't even come with a hole in the bolt. However, if you want more oil, leave that bolt out. I've done this more than once and never had an issue.

it goes on the top hole that is drilled thru to the lifter valley! the other 3 holes are blind! It most definitely adds more oil to the timing set, if not please explain why Chrysler drilled thousands of them. and if u have it why not use it? I do not like the idea of only useing 3 bolts, same reason I use all 20 headbolts

it goes on the top hole that is drilled thru to the lifter valley! the other 3 holes are blind! It most definitely adds more oil to the timing set, if not please explain why Chrysler drilled thousands of them. and if u have it why not use it? I do not like the idea of only useing 3 bolts, same reason I use all 20 headbolts

Some of them only had 3 bolts and a drip tab.
The reason that hole is drilled all the way through is because they can. It's easier and cheaper to drill it through and it's way easier to tap an open hole.
Then some engineer got paid big money to put a bolt with a hole in that hole. It's essentially worthless.

Ok, the answer is it goes on the bottom, passenger side of the block. Truth is, most don't even come with a hole in the bolt. However, if you want more oil, leave that bolt out. I've done this more than once and never had an issue.
sorry, I meant what the others said.. it's the only one you can stick a ice pick through.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Hey YR, do you have any pics of where you do this? Or should I just shoot you a PM on this. I'm about to order the milodon 13600 setup for my 360.

-Aaron

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Hey YR, do you have any pics of where you do this? Or should I just shoot you a PM on this. I'm about to order the milodon 13600 setup for my 360.

-Aaron

I wish I had a GD drive sitting here but I don't. I'll see what I can dig up out in the shop and make a video. How I'm going to post the video is another issue.

Damn glad you are getting the Milodon gear drive. Dead accurate, easy to set up and never fails. I can degree a cam with a Milodon GD as fast or faster than I can with a timing chain.

-
Back