Quick question what is the difference between gear oil’s

-
Shouldn’t have to add any, the only way it could be getting low enough to add is if it’s leaking, in which case repairs are in order. Transmission gear oil is usually, but not always lighter than axle gear oil. I have read that many manufacturers tried to run ATF in the manual transmissions in the ‘70s and it did not work out in their favor at all. Frequency of changing gear oil depends on severity of usage, so once again, the factory service manual is your best friend.

Lots of manual transmissions run atf. But some use syncromesh fluid in the gm pickups. And now with automatic transfer cases, there is a specific oil for them.
Clutches.
The old manual transmissions i put in 1/2 atf and 1/2 gear oil.

Differences- manual trans vs rear end. A trans has moving parts, it shifts, heavy oils slow down shifts and the wrong oils degrade brass syncros. Rear ends are usually happy with standard gear oil except if you have certain unusual ones- like a Mopar Sure-grip. Sure-grips have clutches. Too slippery an oil and the clutches won't "bite", too heavy and they won't work either. The lesson is- the right oil for the job. Both rear ends and trannys are usually "full" if the oil level is within 1" of the fill plug.

As far as I can remember, the transmission or rear is filled initially or replaced to a level until it drips out.

The manuals on them have suggestions on the weight to use. Recent oils do not always need the friction modifier. (Whale oil)

I myself have been running Mobil synth. I can’t remember the weight(s) because it’s been years.

there are now gear oils with limited slip additive already in them

castrol gtx is one brand

available at o'reilly's

I always use a bottle of mopar whale oil in all my sure grips no matter what oil I use .

Sounds like all can benefit from an education on modern oils, particularly synthetics. Start by looking at the factory manual and what was recommended 50 years ago. Read about the Zink additive issue and how that relates to how engines have changed (roller cams) and how available oils have changed. Web sites from the oil companies, including synthetics, are a good source of info.

Sounds like all can benefit from an education on modern oils, particularly synthetics. Start by looking at the factory manual and what was recommended 50 years ago. Read about the Zink additive issue and how that relates to how engines have changed (roller cams) and how available oils have changed. Web sites from the oil companies, including synthetics, are a good source of info.
Gear oils is the subject. If I knew what was in there I wouldn't purposely mix standard and synthetic but if I were to just add, I would use standard gear oil.

There is a difference between GL4 and GL5 gear oils. My experience is with a saginaw transmission It had brass synchros and required the GL4
The rear end required a GL5 both were non synthetic.

-
Back