Quick simple questions-please and thank you

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
1. i can put front C-body brakes on my B-body Mopars but not on an F or A body?

2. I can put B-body front brakes on my f body and an a body?

3. Rear disk brakes-significantly better than 11” drums or slightly better?

4. Are C body brakes and parts going to be very difficult to replace (wear & tear parts)?

City driving, aggressive stopping without a doubt!

Thank you thankyou thankyou thankyou thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

1. What do you mean by C Body Brakes?

2. What B Body brakes.

3. Not worth it in my opinion

4. See #1 above.

The disk brakes that come from (larger) C-body cars.

I need Any boost in braking power that I can get here. People stand on their brake pedal regularly (maybe on cell phones, dodging accidents).

your F's have very good power discs.
better than the earlier 4 piston calipers imo.
C wont fit A or F bodies AFIK.
F/M/J fits A.
You could find a larger set of rotors from the later M's and J's for your F and A.

no graceful drivers, eh?

1. i can put front C-body brakes on my B-body Mopars but not on an F or A body?

2. I can put B-body front brakes on my f body and an a body?

3. Rear disk brakes-significantly better than 11” drums or slightly better?

4. Are C body brakes and parts going to be very difficult to replace (wear & tear parts)?

City driving, aggressive stopping without a doubt!

Thank you thankyou thankyou thankyou thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

1- No, C-body brakes pretty much only fit C-bodies. Some of the C-body stuff crosses over to vans and trucks, pretty much none of it crosses over to other model cars.

2- Yes, you can put B body front brakes on a F body. Or an A body. The B body front brakes will swap between A/B/E/F/M/J and R bodies. The spindle is slightly taller than the original A body spindle, but Ehrenberg is full of crap about the "overangling" and interference issues he mentioned in his disk-o-tech article. The truth on the taller spindles is listed in the geometry table in this article http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0503-swapping-a-and-b-disc-brake-spindles/

3- The 11x2.5" rear drums are pretty great for stopping power. Rear disks are not a significant upgrade in stopping power, but like any disk vs drum comparison there are advantages. Less heat fade, more consistent braking (no auto adjuster clicking over on one side and not the other), better wet braking, etc. Not a great "bang for your buck" upgrade to go rear disks, but it is an improvement.

4- Not really sure, haven't sourced them myself. I would imagine some are, because some of the C-body parts are limited to only a couple model years.

B/R bodies from 76-81 had optional 11.75" rotors. These can be swapped onto any 73+ A/B/E/F/M/J/R body spindle. Wheel bearings are the same, all you need is the rotor and the caliper bracket (DoctorDiff sells them). Even the caliper stays the same, the improvement in braking is because of the longer "lever arm" you get from the force being applied further away from the center of the spindle. They require a 15" diameter wheel, but provide a nice stopping upgrade even over the 73+ 10.87" rotors. On an A-body it's more noticeable if you use non-A body calipers, as the 73-75 A-body calipers had a 2.6" piston, '76 and everything else body style wise used 2.75" caliper pistons.

I ran my Challenger around for about 70k miles on the street with 11.75" front disks and 11x2.5" rear drums. It makes for a good combination, well balanced. With the 275/40/17's I ran on all 4 corners the car stopped very well. Not quite as good as my Duster does with it's 13" front and 11.7" rear disks from DoctorDiff, but really well especially considering the difference in the amount of money I spent for brakes.

-
Back