R. Lee Ermey Buried With Honors at Arlington National Cemetery

-
Died A 15th, 2018. Not sure why he's only being buried now.

I could watch the beginning of Full Metal Jacket every day. My boot camps (went to Army and Air Force) weren't quite like that, but a little...

I sure would have loved to met him in person. Seemed to be a real down to earth kind of guy.
That’s what I heard about him. A real cool stand up down to earth guy. Nothin but good words about him from his peers and strangers that talked about him.

There is a backlog that is seriously obscene. They only do 7 to 20 burials a day, and the list is long. As you can see, preferential treatment is not given except in certain cases (combat deaths, etc).
This is the same for most all national cemeteries, not just Arlington.

There is a backlog that is seriously obscene./QUOTE]

My brother's best friend was buried there in August. His family had to wait a little over a year.
It was very impressive. There was a serious monsoon going on, and they didn't miss a beat.

I could watch the beginning of Full Metal Jacket every day. My boot camps (went to Army and Air Force) weren't quite like that, but a little...

When were u in ??

Going to the 3rd Infantry as a salute cannoneer was a re-enlistment option available to me on my first re-enlistment.
Those guys are pretty sharp and impressive. Very regimented. Just not something I had the patience for, so I passed.
I got a lot of respect for those guys, every one of them volunteered for that duty. I don't think I could handle that much death.

My son's buddy from basic and infantry school was slotted to go to the 3rd. He was a tall, good looking kid, which seems to be an unwritten prerequisite for that duty. That was 2006, when there were a lot of KIAs coming home.

My ex's cousin was part of one of the Army squads that traveled around the US doing Memorials. He took it very seriously and I gave him my full respect. I get all choked up whenever I pass any of the National Cemetaries in SoCal still to this day.

He was a real man and an American.
Dont want to bring up present politics
and ruin my post.............................................
.......Thanks for your service and
you WILL rest in peace. God Bless.

A lot of people don't know it, but FMJ was a copy of a previous movie that came out a few years prior. The Boys in Company C was based on a real story somewhat, or the Hollywood rendition of a real story. Also starring Sgt. Ermey the boot camp scenes are a lot closer to the real thing than FMJ

A coworker named Tom worked with me at a (believe it or not) high end wrecking yard in at the mouth of the Columbia river gorge in Oregon back in the mid 90s. Long story short, he's married to Gunnys daughter (I never did ask if there were more kids)
I told him he's full of ****... a few days later, he brings in his wedding pictures and I about **** when i saw Gunny in with him. He said was nothing like FMJ. A very easy going guy but would fire up if you pissed him off. Always thought highly of him. R.I.P.

Not a copy. Full Metal Jacket was based on a book by a Vietnam Marine vet, who co-wrote the screenplay with Stanley Kubrick. Similar in that instance to Platoon, which also came after Boys in Company C, being based on Oliver Stone's experience.

Hi! Thanks for sharing that information. It's always interesting to learn about the connections between movies and real stories. Have a great day!
Welcome to FABO!
Great car! I'd offer to sell you my spare flux capacitor, but that's only allowed in sale and wanted threads. :rolleyes:

Here's one. It's only 121 Gigawatts though. I'd be looking for the 175 Gigawatt unit. Much quicker! :rolleyes:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor
Excellent! The last time I looked, which admittedly was some time ago, O'Reilly's had discontinued that part. There was probably a pallet of them from China stuck on a container ship anchored off Long Beach just waiting to be unloaded.

I went to this cemetery a couple of days ago, and I saw his grave. I didn't know that he died, and it looks like it was a while ago.

Oh wow, I had no idea R. Lee Ermey passed away, and it's been quite a while since then. It's great to hear that he was buried with honors at Arlington National Cemetery. He was such a legendary actor, and his role in "Full Metal Jacket" will always be iconic. It's amazing how his contributions to the film industry and his service in the military are being recognized in such a prestigious way.
By the way, I stumbled upon this thread while I was researching funeral options for my own family's loss. It's a difficult time, and I've been exploring different options to honor our loved one's memory. In my search, I found out about monuments for Green Hill Memorial Gardens, which seems like a beautiful and meaningful place to consider. They offer a range of memorial options and services that could provide solace and comfort during this challenging time.

Last edited:
-
Back