R&R oil pan in car

-

justme

Reaction score
Is it possible to r&r a /6 oil pan with out removing the engine in a 66 /6 stick Valiant. Approximately how high would you have to go?

Yup, but I personally would pull the engine and be done with it. What is it? 20 fasteners? Less?

Pulling an engine requires added equipment. It can be done, some engines i have had to unbolt oil pump pickup and drop it into pan.

Drop the k frame and support the engine.
It’s a tad more work Up front BUT radiator can stay, coolant can stay, you just need to support the engine. I’ve done it both ways and both suck. I feel bad you have to do it.

Drop the k frame and support the engine.
It’s a tad more work Up front BUT radiator can stay, coolant can stay, you just need to support the engine. I’ve done it both ways and both suck. I feel bad you have to do it.
I agree with this, but again specialized equipment- shop crane cones to mind. If you have it, pull engine. Then throw it on the stand and flip it. In the end, it makes for a better quality job,and improves the chance of a good leakproof job. The pros outweigh everything.

some people only have a few jackstands and a set of sockets. Im sure the 6 pan can be R&R's in the car but getting to a few of the bolts will require a U-joint and a few extensions. May have to turn the crank once the pan is dropped to get it past the throws (My 273 in a 65 was pretty tight but it made it with oil pump removed working through a 2" crack. Sometimes loosening one motor mount and jacking up under the trans bell or even jacking the pan with a 2X8 under itenough to get another 2x4 under the motor mounts to keep it up there when you remove the jack. IIRC the FSM had a pic of something like that.

-
Back