Racing with a pressed wrist pin

-

1970 La

Reaction score
Would like to hear opinions on pressed wrist pins for drag racing. I have got a new set of eagle I beam rods that are for pressed pin. I was going to have them honed and use them as a floating pin with out the bushing.
Mancini had theese for a 100 bucks a year ago and I could not pass them up.

Engine will be around 500 hp and will see 7500 rpm most of the time. It wont take much to talk me out of this so let me hear what ya think. Thanks!

So long as there's holes to oil the pin, go for it. You could also have them bushed, or if it's something special use a custom piston with a smaller pin and have them bushed for that size. The issue isn't strength, but ability to stay in place. Pressed pins can walk at high rpms and loads. Floaters have the locks to keep them in place.

JMO, but I would not use those rods for a 500+hp race engine that spins to 7500 rpm....I might use those rods in a stock rebuild....maybe....I'm just sayin.

Knock it out. It's been done for decades. Make sure it's got good oiling like mopermous said.

How would you say these compare to a stock 340 forged rod as far as durability?

I have never ran aftermarket rods always been stock stuff with polished beams, floated pins, re sized with new rod bolts. But this engine will have w2's so i am sure another 50hp wont be hard to find.

i would consider an h-beam of some kind for your set up you dont want to drop a rod and have a chivvy pass ya now that would be a bad day

I'm with Flyfish on this. The Eagle I beams have a bad reputation.

Well prepped stockers would be a much better choice in my mind.
Unless you have VERY light pistons , these are marginal at best for over 6500 r.p.m.
Think about it..........100.00 connecting rods in what sounds like a pretty serious small block ?
Not me , Brother.

As said before it would not take much to talk me out of this. Will save them for a grocery getter thanks guys.

-
Back